Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Founding member #7
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we went to Ottawa this past weekend. A car ahead of us and we pulled into the entrance way to go register at the hotel. I made sure to leave enough clearance ahead of me to allow the suv to get luggage out of the rear of the car. Went in and started registering. Someone came in and said, "Is that your red mercedes? Someone just backed into it." So I went outside as those people were coming in and I said, "Did you back into me?" The woman of the older couple said, "We were just coming in to see if we could locate the owner."

So I looked at the front of the car and only noticed the driver side of the grill punched in a bit and the 3 pointed star logo thingee was loose. I didn't notice anything else, banged on the logo and it reattached. So I left it at that and didn't figure they hit me hard enough to do any real damage (though I have NO idea why they were backing up at all).

So went out after we got registered and I noticed a black spot on the front just beside the grill. I thought it was a bug from the trip and just scraped it off with my thumbnail. Nope, it was paint from the other guy's bumper. Could hardly see a scratch in our paint where they hit. I took a picture of the ding in his bumper paint and the license plate. Later I located their car and left a note saying to contact us. They didn't.

On the trip home, I continually get "sensor is dirty" errors and the cruise won't stay activated. The sensors weren't dirty so I'm guessing the impact may have knocked something loose.

So here is the question. Is there actually something behind that logo? Is there a sensor in there, or is it, as I suspect, just something for looks?

Is there anything else that might have gotten damaged from a minor ding? I checked the alignment of the panels for the bumper and the hood and everything looked fine.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
5,824 Posts
So I looked at the front of the car and only noticed the driver side of the grill punched in a bit and the 3 pointed star logo thingee was loose. I didn't notice anything else, banged on the logo and it reattached. So I left it at that and didn't figure they hit me hard enough to do any real damage (though I have NO idea why they were backing up at all).

On the trip home, I continually get "sensor is dirty" errors and the cruise won't stay activated. The sensors weren't dirty so I'm guessing the impact may have knocked something loose.

So here is the question. Is there actually something behind that logo? Is there a sensor in there, or is it, as I suspect, just something for looks?
With regard to your sensor question it depends on the options you have on your car. I could not find if you have ever asked for a Datacard which would help answering your question.

·
Founding member #7
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, has the autocruise. And the parking stuff. Don't think the grill has metal clips as it looks like plastic, but I don't know.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,438 Posts
I would suggest you contact your ins agent and ask them what to do. Usually, damage under $1000 IIRC is not reportable to the police here BUT you need to exchange info (d.l., ins, etc).

AFAIK, you don't need a police report for ins but the cops would probably have NOT have charged the backer-upper because the crunch occurred on private property.

May prove to be difficult now because of your/their location in any case.

·
Registered 2016 SLK55 AMG w/P30
651 Posts
Yeah your radar system that controls auto cruise (and maybe other stuff) is behind the mercedes emblem plate in the grill. Hopefully he just jostled something loose behind it. If you have his plate #I would report it to your insurance. If not maybe have insurance call hotel and get hisbinfo off their register.

·
Founding member #7
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I already talked to the insurance person. I was afraid there might be something behind that logo. It was a little too conspicuous. And the clips that held it in place looked too good for just a plastic logo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts