Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered 2007 SLK 350
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2007 SLK, and didn't even know there was an ashtray until I read someone mention it. Tried to open mine by pressing in. Goes in a bit but doesn't release. Tried pulling a bit. Doesn't release. Tried doing a combination of both, many times. No release. Tried jiggling it for no apparent reason. No luck.

I don't really need the ashtray, but this bugs me because: a) It doesn't work, and it should and b) Opening and removing the ashtray is key to doing any kind of work to areas above it.

Any ideas how I can get this thing to release? Thx

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
740 Posts
The cig lighter front panel lifts off which may give you a little more leverage. Gently prise it from the left. The ashtray normally pushes in a fraction then pops out. There a flat bendy spring underneath. Problem is, one of the torx screws is behind the tray. Sounds like some anti smoking lobbyist has jammed it shut!

Maya ~ Tapatalk

·
Registered 2007 SLK 350
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up removing the plate around the gear shift and "forced" the ashtray out a bit from the bottom. The clear plastic bit at the back had somehow come loose and was jamming the ashtray from opening. To avoid this design flaw in the future, I removed the ashtray and replaced it with the wider coin tray, or whatever its official name is. That is all.
Thanks!

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
740 Posts
That's no design flaw. It's a ploy to make you sling butts out the window, wear out your zippo and collect change you could be spending on backy! But I'm glad you found a fix..

Maya ~ Taptalk

·
Registered 2007 SLK 350
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's no design flaw. It's a ploy to make you sling butts out the window, wear out your zippo and collect change you could be spending on backy! But I'm glad you found a fix..

Maya ~ Taptalk
Well played, Mr. Benz. Well played.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts