Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered 1996 SLK230
Discussion Starter #1
So today was the day I was to be fixing the roof hydraulics in my car. Only got the front one done. And it still leaks! But that's not my immediate problem.

My most pressing issue:
I still have to close the roof manually, but I cannot for the life of me get the latches open wide enough to get the roof locked. I marked the position of the cylinder and have put it back exactly where it was but that doesn't seem to be the problem. The latches do not open wide enough to allow the roof to shut completely.

For now I have a permanently open roof.

Secondary issues:
The second perplexing problem is that when we tested the roof after fixing the front cylinder, all of the windows went down. But then the rear windows wouldn't budge. The front windows go up and down using the roof button. Not the rears, they refuse to move. I had to put a battery across them again to get them up. I tested them with a voltmeter and they weren't getting power when the front windows were. I'm wondering if there is a switch somewhere that is not functioning?

Arrrgh. So disappointed.

Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
Release the Emergency Valve on the Pump, and then try and get the allen key to FULLY OPEN those latches, this could be the problem you have discussed in your other thread ;)

If you get the latches to fully open, push the Roof to closed but don't do anything else, open Trunk, shut the Emergency Valve, on Pump, set Luggage Blind. close Trunk, now start Engine and push the the Roof Switch fully forward to complete the close cycle, if that works, and latches the Roof now do the following ...............

Switch off engine, lock Car, leave it half hour then go back and start Engine, try to open Roof with the Switch and see what happens ;)

HTH ;)

Registered 1996 SLK230
Discussion Starter #5
Release the Emergency Valve on the Pump, and then try and get the allen key to FULLY OPEN those latches, this could be the problem you have discussed in your other thread ;)

If you get the latches to fully open, push the Roof to closed but don't do anything else, open Trunk, shut the Emergency Valve, on Pump, set Luggage Blind. close Trunk, now start Engine and push the the Roof Switch fully forward to complete the close cycle, if that works, and latches the Roof now do the following ...............

Switch off engine, lock Car, leave it half hour then go back and start Engine, try to open Roof with the Switch and see what happens ;)

HTH ;)
Thanks Dave, worth a shot.

Registered 1998 SLK230
Thanks Dave, worth a shot.
I think you might laugh hard!
When the front frame and the "horns" of the roof gets in contact use the Key to OPEN the clamps (like an extra inch or so) and then finish the operation! When away of each other the clamps are "half" open. I saw it in 2 cars! Mine and facelift model!
I was angry at myself when I figured it out! With external help of course.
Update is welcomed!

Registered 1996 SLK230
Discussion Starter #7
I think you might laugh hard!
When the front frame and the "horns" of the roof gets in contact use the Key to OPEN the clamps (like an extra inch or so) and then finish the operation! When away of each other the clamps are "half" open. I saw it in 2 cars! Mine and facelift model!
I was angry at myself when I figured it out! With external help of course.
Update is welcomed!
When you say "the key" what do you mean? The car key? The allen key?

Cheers

Registered 1996 SLK230
Discussion Starter #9
Allen KEY mate, the KEY for the roof lock.
OK great thanks.

As I've already tried this (and Dave's method above, pretty sure) I was hoping you had some magical way of doing this by turning the ignition on ;)

With that said, I will most certainly try both of these methods as soon as I can. And any other suggestions that might get posted in the mean time.

Registered 1996 SLK230
Discussion Starter #10
Out of curiousity does anyone know if the ears / flaps that fold in and out have any bearing on the roof's ability to operate?

Because I snapped the wire on both sides that operates those flaps.

Registered 1996 SLK230
Discussion Starter #13
Out of curiousity does anyone know if the ears / flaps that fold in and out have any bearing on the roof's ability to operate?

Because I snapped the wire on both sides that operates those flaps.
Well I guess I no one knows.

From what I've read the R280 version does do have switches in them. I don't think the R170 does.

Registered 1998 SLK230
Yep, those bad boys. Thanks for clarifying :D
No worries!
I can't find a pic to clarify and may slip on a side!
Behind driver's right shoulder (UK, Australia same steering wheel) there is a micro (or not) switch it tells the Comp about the positioning. And under that right flap there is a bracket that keeps the ROOF in folded position to not drop in the trunk ( or bend while folded ). That is a proper PIA to reach. But I can't recall do you have to take that bracket off (messing up with the switch) or ... Just a side note!

Registered 1996 SLK230
Discussion Starter #17
No worries!
I can't find a pic to clarify and may slip on a side!
Behind driver's right shoulder (UK, Australia same steering wheel) there is a micro (or not) switch it tells the Comp about the positioning. And under that right flap there is a bracket that keeps the ROOF in folded position to not drop in the trunk ( or bend while folded ). That is a proper PIA to reach. But I can't recall do you have to take that bracket off (messing up with the switch) or ... Just a side note!
I think that switch is my next port of call in sorting this. Also, last night, watching some YT on this I discovered there's another switch on a bracket that covers the pump. I moved this bracket when I was filling the pump the first time. So I think I need to check that this switch A) exists, and B) is/n't getting siwtched.

On a side note, how hard is it to get the parcel tray out?

Registered 1998 SLK230
With the beer/coffee 15 minutes!
But search the tube for a video As the positioning of the roof is a good to know!
A cordless driver and T...25-27 is a must + PH2 bit.
I used old old pillow case to place the tools on the folded roof. As this is the positioning when can access the tray from the bottom side.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts