Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying to remove my spare tire on my 2012 SLK 250. I read the manual, page 274, and all it basically says is to "turn retaining screw counter-clockwise and remove it, remove collapsible spare tire." I removed the retaining screw device but the back edge of the tire, closest to the drivers area, keeps hitting the bodywork and I cannot lift the tire closest to me, as I stand behind the open truck, high enough to clear the body work and remove the tire. I do not know for certain, but it looks like the tire has never been removed. Is there a trick to this. The manual does not discuss or instruct the removal of any plastic interior panels etc. Very frustrated and would hate to try this on the side of the road.

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,945 Posts
Pull it horizontally toward you (toward the back of the car), then lift it up by the edge that's closest to the back of the car. Apply force as needed; you will not break anything. Yes, it's a tight squeeze.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was my thought also, but was afraid to push too hard against the plastic. Hate to remove the plastic because the darn retaining screws never work right. So, if I am understanding correctly, this tight is normal? What about adding a lubricant, I mean it is really tight.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,389 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys are awesome. Combination of all of the "tricks" from the prior post did the trick (lithium grease, push-pull, side to side, and stuck to styrpfoam). Thanks to all. Took the time to wax underneath tire in the wheel well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.