Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new time now stands at 27 hours, 25 minutes.
For the benefit of younger readers who visit Motor1.com, here’s a quick history lesson on the granddaddy of illegal races that – literally to this day – still tempts those with a penchant for pushing the limits. We’re talking about the Cannonball – a point-to-point automotive sprint that starts in New York City and concludes in Los Angeles. There are no rules, and it started with Erwin Baker’s 11-day trip on a motorcycle way back in 1915. In 1933 he made the trip in 53 hours behind the wheel of a big Graham-Paige sedan, inspiring legendary Car & Driver scribe Brock Yates to revive the notorious event in the 1970s.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I believe from reading Car and Driver in the 70s (Brock Yates revival) it was the Cannonball Aderly Sea-to-shinning-sea memorial trophy dash. An exciting time

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Close, but no cigar. Brock Yates originally named it "The Cannonball Baker Sea-to-Shining-Sea Memorial Trophy Dash" in honor of Erwin Baker.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Wow - Worth a watch, if You have a spare 22 minutes:
The planning to get an average, yes an average of 103mph is very interesting...... (y)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Hi @Trev5 ,

Now that is interesting, about 8 years ago, (pre night time IR speed Cameras and NPR ), I did Inverinate to Kent, (650 miles) in 6 hrs 54 mins , which is an average of 94.2 MPH, that was in a V8 BMW, clear night, only stopped for fuel and 'P' almost all Motorways until Erskine Bridge ;)

No Tickets, that was the best ever, several family members tried to beat it back then but no one else has got close to that, and no way could we these days due to all the IR and Plate Recognition Cameras, best we have done lately is circa 9 to 9.5 hrs and that is pushing it 👿

Ahhhh the good old days, I have considered ordering a couple pairs of these :-

Not Illegal to fit, but "perverting the course of justice" = Jail Sentence if you get a capture using them OTR puts me off :eek: ................

Seems a little un fair considering the miniscule sentencing for Rapists etc etc but don't get me started on that one :ROFLMAO:

Cheers Dave

·
AND MABEL
13,999 Posts
Now that is interesting, about 8 years ago, (pre night time IR speed Cameras and NPR ), I did Inverinate to Kent, (650 miles) in 6 hrs 54 mins , which is an average of 94.2 MPH, that was in a V8 BMW, clear night, only stopped for fuel and 'P' almost all Motorways until Erskine Bridge ;)

No Tickets, that was the best ever, several family members tried to beat it back then but no one else has got close to that, and no way could we these days due to all the IR and Plate Recognition Cameras, best we have done lately is circa 9 to 9.5 hrs and that is pushing it 👿

Cheers Dave
In 1984 I managed to cover the 423 miles from Alness (20 miles past Inverness) to Heswall (on the Wirral) in 5 hours 42 mins (averaging 74mph) in a 4 cylinder 130hp Audi 100. It was normally about a 10 hour run. I did it on a Saturday morning when the old A9 was reasonably quiet, and only had one stop on route for fuel. I remember being surprised at my time as I hadn't been thrashing it, just cruising at a decent speed. Nowadays Mabel takes about 7 hours to cover the same empty road run, albeit a slightly shorter journey due to the A9's improvements, due to those cameras you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Hi @DAVIETHESCAFF ,

Overnight is the only way to do these long runs to South Coast area nowadays, and even that is busier than it used to be ;)

A few years ago I had to get Mel's parents down South really quickly when her Bro got taken bad and was on his death bed, the oldies were in tears because I said if we left at 7 at night we'd get there early hours, around 4am with no traffic, no hassle !!

So in the end because of all the old girls bleating and lack of trust we left here at 2 pm .................. Caught the Glasgow and London commuters plus road closures accidents etc etc etc etc ..............

17 hours later ....................... We arrive at breakfast time :(

He lasted another few days anyhow, so they still got to see him before he turned his toes up ;)

Cheers Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts