Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a 2006 SLK280 from a BMW dealership. They offered a warrentee from First Canadian Protection Plans (FCPP). Looking at their policy, it seems that many components are not covered by even their most comprehensive coverage (including the convertible top). I was later at a Mercedes dealership and the sale's rep suggested not to get this insurrance, saying that the coverage is not as good as it appears, and using it will be very troublesome.

There is one month left on the manufacturer's warrentee.

Are there better choices for warrentee coverage available in Canada (I'm in Vancouver)? When does that need to be purchased? As soon as I purchase the car, or sometime before the manufacturer's warrentee expires?

The car was also also in an accident about 3 years ago. It was rear ended, and the cost of repairs were $4000. Is this a significant risk? I figure that after so many years, any issues would have been worked out (since it has been under warrentee).

How long does it take to get a record of the history of the car? Available online?

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,198 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location and vehicle info in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale.
usercp, edit your details, location/vehicle.

If you have not, please use the 'search this forum' feature for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, If you have not, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider donating for security updates and repairs to the site. Any amount is welcome! Thanks!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I would suggest to pass on and wait for another opporunity, especially it was rear ended. One very big concern for rear ended car is leaking which you may not see from the outside. I know Vancouver doesn't snow much and salt on the road is not as bad as Toronto, but rusting is the biggest concern for car involved in acceident. I will definitely wait for another one if I were you.

good luck on your search for a SLK

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would suggest to pass on and wait for another opporunity, especially it was rear ended. One very big concern for rear ended car is leaking which you may not see from the outside. I know Vancouver doesn't snow much and salt on the road is not as bad as Toronto, but rusting is the biggest concern for car involved in acceident. I will definitely wait for another one if I were you.

good luck on your search for a SLK
Thanks for the input. I test drove the car today, and sadly, I wasn't that impressed.

I found the acceleration really lacking. I'd step on the gas, and it took a couple seconds before a felt much, and even then it seems to lack the rush I get in my 325i.

The handling seemed loose, reminiscent of 06 CLKs I have test driven (I guess that would make sense). Is this common for all used cars? My 325i doesn't feel this way as much (and I have pushed it pretty hard over the last 3 years).

I test drove a 09 350 and was quite impressed. It felt a lot tighter, and connected with the road. How would you suspect an 06 350 compares?

I decided not to get the car. The price was just very inviting (less than $30,000 + tax). If anyone is interested, Brian Jessel BMW may still have the 06 SLK 250 available (though the dealer said someone else put a deposit on the car as well).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.