Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 1999 SLK 230 that came with FOUR(!) key fobs but only ONE of them works to unlock/lock the doors remotely. The one that works is really beat up but the rest are in nice condition, one of which has the color MB logo on the back so I'd really like to use that as my primary key fob.

My question is:

Is it possible to use one key to re-program the others so they all work for RF?

If there is no way to get the dead fobs working then I will switch cases according to some instructions I found on this forum. However ideally I would like to have all 4 fobs working for RF.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,381 Posts
Do you have a owners manual? There are instruction in it to synchronize the remote. Done by aiming the remote eye at car and depressing both the lock and unlock buttons at the same time twice and then inserting the key in the switch with in 30 seconds and tuning it to posistion 2. Make sure you only do this after you are able to get inside the car. Good idea to have second person in side to be able to open the doors if they lock up again while doing this.

Full instruction is in the manual section "Operation" under the heading "Central Locking System"

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Check out my thread http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-class-diy/31106-how-open-repair-key-after-water-damage-replace-key-fob-case-shell-holder.html
Here are the instructions:
"Place the key in the ignition., turn to position 2 and push the unlock button on the fob, repeat for the lock button. Turn to position 0 and remove the key. Both buttons should work."

But first I would check if the red light on the key fob flashes when you press and hold the buttons! If it is then it's just the issue of reprogramming (I would suggest).

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just wanted to give this thread a bump because I just did it. My key fob was falling apart and no longer worked to lock or unlock the doors so I bit the bullet and bought a new one from the MB dealership. The instructions in the owner's manual worked like a charm.

Press either the lock or unlock button twice, insert the key into the ignition and turn to position 2 within 30 seconds.

Can you believe the dealership charges $70.00 to do that for you?

Anyway, there are dozens of threads all over the internet about this subject. The simple truth is that this will only work for a NEW key fob that you purchase FROM THE DEALERSHIP.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
new keys

Recently I wanted a second key for our 2002 320. I call the closest dealer and they wanted to charge to sync the key. I called a second dealer and they not only took my order over the phone they did not charge to sync it when I went to pick it up a few days later. They did require the registration and identification when I picked the key up. I guess it pays to shop around.

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
427 Posts
Recently I wanted a second key for our 2002 320. I call the closest dealer and they wanted to charge to sync the key. I called a second dealer and they not only took my order over the phone they did not charge to sync it when I went to pick it up a few days later. They did require the registration and identification when I picked the key up. I guess it pays to shop around.
My key worked right out of the box. I ordered it from my dealer and it required no syncing at all. I doubt they would have charged me anyway.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Done by aiming the remote eye at car and depressing both the lock and unlock buttons at the same time twice and then inserting the key in the switch with in 30 seconds and tuning it to posistion 2.
"Place the key in the ignition., turn to position 2 and push the unlock button on the fob, repeat for the lock button. Turn to position 0 and remove the key. Both buttons should work."
Press either the lock or unlock button twice, insert the key into the ignition and turn to position 2 within 30 seconds.
I have a key that's had a dead battery for over a year. I recently replaced the key battery, and the red light is now flashing when I press the buttons. I am not able to sync the fob using any of the above three methods, so my buttons still don't unlock/lock the car. Is there a nuance to the procedure? I've also gone through and cleaned the fob using JaysonM 's instructions. Why isn't it working?

I also tried holding unlock and lock for 5 seconds which caused a different flash, but it was to no avail. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a key that's had a dead battery for over a year. I recently replaced the key battery, and the red light is now flashing when I press the buttons. I am not able to sync the fob using any of the above three methods, so my buttons still don't unlock/lock the car. Is there a nuance to the procedure? I've also gone through and cleaned the fob using JaysonM 's instructions. Why isn't it working?

I also tried holding unlock and lock for 5 seconds which caused a different flash, but it was to no avail. Thanks for the help!
Did you manage to solve this only I have the same problem. Second key operates car ok but will not lock or unlock using the buttons. Batteries are ok and I can see red flash she I press a button.

I've tried many times the procedure of pressing either or both buttons and inserting into ignition and turning to position 2 within 30 seconds but nothing.

Any help welcome

Chris

·
Registered
667 Posts
Yes when I brought a new key fob cost at my dealer was $120.00 but no charge to program it.. Also brought a valet key from dealer only
30.00 not to bad I guess....

jnc1948 Charlotte NC

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hmmm.... Really weird. I never had problems with these procedures. If it doesn't work then probably a reputable Mercedes workshop or Dealership is the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
75 Posts
wait, what? you got a new key for $120???
if that's correct could you let me know which dealer it is?
thanks!
(it's a sad day that I'm excited to think a key that should cost $25 is 'only' $120)

Yes when I brought a new key fob cost at my dealer was $120.00 but no charge to program it.. Also brought a valet key from dealer only
30.00 not to bad I guess....

jnc1948 Charlotte NC

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,379 Posts
wait, what? you got a new key for $120???
if that's correct could you let me know which dealer it is?
thanks!
(it's a sad day that I'm excited to think a key that should cost $25 is 'only' $120)
you have enuff posts to pm this active member :D
jnc1948

·
Registered 2001 SLK200
33 Posts
I had similar issue with my key fob an could't sync it. When I went to local M-B dealer they said that I need to replace it wit approx cost 325$. However nice M-B serviceman told me that with this old M-B model (R170 2001) it is possible to buy a replacement and have it reprogrammed in local car key service (not M-B) cost was 25$.

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
75 Posts
I had similar issue with my key fob an could't sync it. When I went to local M-B dealer they said that I need to replace it wit approx cost 325$. However nice M-B serviceman told me that with this old M-B model (R170 2001) it is possible to buy a replacement and have it reprogrammed in local car key service (not M-B) cost was 25$.

well THAT'S interesting as my car is older and lamer than yours! I'll check that out... Thanks!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.