Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 2002 badged as a SLK320 AMG and wondering if it could be a good buy or best avoided. Not a total purest, I'd love a set of AMG wheels as they look so nice. The previous owner went so far as to change out the bumpers and rocker panels for AMG, the wheels, fender (Sport) and trunk (AMG) badges. The giveaway is the interior, no AMG on the speedometer or shifter and no spoiler on the trunk lid. Not supercharged.

Ran the Vin through https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/vindecoder.php and it just says SLK320, was suspicious and ran a real AMG vin through and it come up SLK320 AMG.

Anyway, I guess what I'm asking is whether you might consider buying such a version of the car if the price was right and if you did would you remove the badges or leave them on?

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,024 Posts
Looking at a 2002 badged as a SLK320 AMG and wondering if it could be a good buy or best avoided. Not a total purest, I'd love a set of AMG wheels as they look so nice. The previous owner went so far as to change out the bumpers and rocker panels for AMG, the wheels, fender (Sport) and trunk (AMG) badges. The giveaway is the interior, no AMG on the speedometer or shifter and no spoiler on the trunk lid. Not supercharged.

Ran the Vin through https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/vindecoder.php and it just says SLK320, was suspicious and ran a real AMG vin through and it come up SLK320 AMG.

Anyway, I guess what I'm asking is whether you might consider buying such a version of the car if the price was right and if you did would you remove the badges or leave them on?
They way id look at it your buying a SLK320 and anything thats original oem thats been done replaced is a bonus for you .
Just badge it as a 320 or 320 Amg .

Its your choice your driving it and buying it
As long as it looks professionaly done by the way .

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,652 Posts
The AMG version of the R170 was the SLK 32 not SLK320 and the supercharger was the big difference ( along with all the trim bits )

Sadly Mercedes seems to be diluting the AMG brand terribly as everything seems to come with 'AMG' or 'AMG Line' Option these days even if it's only got a body kit and wheels on it!

If the price is right and you like the car, buy it but dont pay 'true' AMG prices. If you feel the need to keep the AMG badges go for it.

The real mark of an AMG is a hand built engine off the AMG factory floor, silly amounts of horsepower and superb exhaust notes. None of which can be achieved with a bunch of stick on stuff. :)

·
Registered 2007 SLK350
557 Posts
Sounds like someone has cherished the car, and spent some money on it.

Cant be bad, compared to some cars that are run on a budget, and neglected.

However has the owner just spent the money on cosmetics, or has he also spent it on essentials???

That is what you need to find out before parting with cash!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmm, SLK320 $44k AMG32 $55k was there a time in 2001-2004 trim packages (Sport?)(body kit) that legitimately looked like and badged a SLK320 on the left and AMG32 on the right or just AMG32 on the right? Otherwise I'm thinking the bright line between upgraded and poser would be the AMG and Sport badges. So what happens if someone shows up at a SLKWorld meet with one of these things, congratulations and prizes or ridicule like being seen on a moped? Should the dealer know better then to sell it as having the AMG Package?

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,077 Posts
AMG sells. What dealer can resist.

If you're happy and NOT paying AMG pricing for just a few badges, go for it.
If they want AMG or higher than standard be aware of it.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,644 Posts
Well the VIN tells all. The SLK320 was available with a "sport" package that included the fascia, deeper rocker panels, a 3.64 axle, and was a legitimate option.

The SLK32 was the AMG version and had a different chassis number:
SLK320 00-04 Ch 170.465
SLK32 02-04 Ch 170.466

Mine has a number of bolt-ons including a BT radio, is just the way I like it.

So if you like and can afford then just buy and enjoy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts