Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first car was a a Ford, a Cortina 1500GT. They’re still around now, running, still maintainable, commanding a very decent price. That was 40 years ago and whilst cars, pretty much, look physically similar, under the skin, as we all know, they’re very different. They are now plastered with computer control systems interlinked by networks. Will my current car (SLK350), which is just about to turn 11 yrs old, still be around and usable in another 30 years, or will the obsolescence of the control systems render it unusable, will it be unmaintainable, a garage/museum ornament! I guess another question is whether we would still be able to purchase the fuel we use?

My career has been in control systems so I know about obsolescence!

Lets hear your thoughts!

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,697 Posts
The market will decide. My guess is that with connectivity, such as facilitated by SLKWorld etc, we'll be able to maintain our cars, with bespoke replacement electronics, even if the OEMs don't produce. Fuel - yes, petroleum will be available - less developed economies around the world will ensure that.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,048 Posts
Forty years ago the ford cortina had points and condenser .
Or can be replaced with electronic ignition .
So maybe one electonic box .

Todays slk have 5-25 ecu plus plus
8-12 air bags for the slk
Two sams

I could go on .........

Fast forwars say 40 years who would stock these hundreds of parts and would have to be new to work with our slk not second hand .

Second hand ecu years back would work with older cars but not modern day ones .

So as an example 3 ecu for a XR3 all swamable across the range .

Slk 171 20 -30 plus ? ecu not swamable from slk to a 350 171
Or a newer slk facelift model

Ours are specific to our cars .

I cant see someone stocking all these ecu even 20 years time
Mercs drop production 8 -10 years on and go on back order and you just have to wait ........

Parts yes you can swap its the electronics side is gonna be the long term problem long term . :|

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,316 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I too had one. What a fun car! At the time, I really wanted the Lotus Cortina, but couldn't afford it. Still can't.
Yes, it was fun. There can't be a single Cortina 1500GT owner that didn't long for a Lotus Cortina, including me! I tweaked mine with a stage 3 head, piper cam, twin DCOE 40's and a Janspeed manifold and exhaust, it made a very respectable (for the time) 90bhp, the Lotus Cortina was 115bhp as standard IIRC. I had it painted black with the 'wedge' in silver.

Here in the UK, for a decent car, you'll currently have to pay around GBP 16k for a GT and GBP 35k for a Lotus!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.