Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
* Registered
1998 SLK230 R170
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thermostat has been sticking open so the car won't stay warmed up. Then it snowed here and for 2 days it worked perfectly. Today the car overheated and I'm assuming it got stuck again but closed. The pressure caused a small crack in the pressurized coolant tank to actually break open. I may have also broke it more geting the hose off. I know I could just keep filling it religiously but I want to repair it. New ones are $90 but all these repairs are adding up for me.

·
* Registered
1998 SLK230 R170
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anyone know where i can get one cheaper? even ebay is selling USED for NEW price.

·
* Registered
1998 SLK230 R170
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
* Registered
1998 SLK230 R170
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can I just use a universal relocation tank?

·
Registered 2003 SLK230
619 Posts
It's just a guess but perhaps the C230 uses the same tank. Lot's of them in yards and if you can crossreference the part number, you'd know for sure.

·
* Registered
1998 SLK230 R170
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's just a guess but perhaps the C230 uses the same tank. Lot's of them in yards and if you can crossreference the part number, you'd know for sure.
too big.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
2001 SLK320
947 Posts
Thermostat has been sticking open so the car won't stay warmed up. Then it snowed here and for 2 days it worked perfectly. Today the car overheated and I'm assuming it got stuck again but closed. The pressure caused a small crack in the pressurized coolant tank to actually break open. I may have also broke it more geting the hose off. I know I could just keep filling it religiously but I want to repair it. New ones are $90 but all these repairs are adding up for me.
View attachment 592143
Where are you getting $90 not that this should be a deterrent. Proper temperature control is essential to a proper running engine, to boil of moisture in the oil etc.
Check this link: Pelican Parts

·
* Registered
1998 SLK230 R170
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where are you getting $90 not that this should be a deterrent. Proper temperature control is essential to a proper running engine, to boil of moisture in the oil etc.
Check this link: Pelican Parts
Coolant tank. I have the thermostat as of yesterday. Cost me $29after tax&shipping.

Tank$73-$76+tax+shipping. $80-$90(both new on parts sites and used on ebay-yes people want new price for stained & used)

Dealer-$90 before shipping+tax.
Autozone comes in last -$130 before tax.

Reactions: Alex 3
1 - 10 of 10 Posts