Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK350/2018 SLC43
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 SLK350 that currently has run flats and the console shows that the run flats sensors are working. Can I replace the tires w/ non-run flat tires? If I do, will I see constant warnings from the diagnostics that the tires are not run flats?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered 2005 SLK350/2018 SLC43
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the first time I've heard of run flats on a Merc .
Well, they are Potenza RE 050 RFT tires. I believe the RFT is run flat. And the diagnostic console gives the status of the run flats. so...

My main concern is that I don't want a warning to keep popping up if I change to non-run flat tires. From everything I read, run flats are not the preferred tire, so why pay more for them?

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
1,274 Posts
Should be no problem. The sensors only measure the air pressure inside the tire, and warn you if it gets too low. The sensors neither know nor care what kind of tire they are monitoring, only whether or not it has air. The real reason for run-flats is so that automakers can dispense with putting a spare wheel, temporary or full-size, into the car at all. Eliminating a spare and including just a small lighter-socket compressor for emergency use saves weight, which saves fuel, and marginally increases trunk space.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
174 Posts
My 2005 350 was ordered with the factory optional Run-Flat Package and Extended Mobility Tires. When the dealer that sold me the car replaced the original tires with "conventional" tires, the run flat warning on the multifunctional display needed to be re-set. Once that was done, there have been no issues. You should be good to go.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
415 Posts
For folks looking at this thread please be aware that on the US MY2005-2007 the tire pressure warning is not based on actual tire pressure. The system measures the rpm of each tire and based on a difference in the reference rpm as the tire deflates, it produces the warning.

Run Flat 1.png.jpg

Run Flat 2.jpg

·
Registered Formerly 2008 SLK200
5,141 Posts
Comparing the number of times the wheel go round is a common approach to detecting low tyre pressure (TPMS). Run flat tyres actually make this technique more difficult because the rolling radius is less affected by slightly lower air pressure. So, fitting standard tyres may result in some increased sensitivity for the TPMS. Should also give better ride quality too. I've never liked the effect that run-flats (with very stiff sidewalls) have on ride and handling on the BMWs I've driven.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.