Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought the car, I received the car with only 1 key that was falling to pieces, therefore I had to make a new one and put the chip that sends the codes to the starter in the new one. The remote control has never worked, not once since I bought the car, everything has been tried but apparently the part that transmits the signal to the doors to lock or unlock remotely in my key is dead, so a new battery or cleaning the contacts will not help at all, it has been tested with the proper equipment and the transmitter is dead. My understanding is that I need to buy that transmitter part that goes inside of the key or a new key that includes the part that works as the remote because in the only key hat I have, that part is dead.
I can't order a new key from the dealership because my car is a 1998 and in my country...the only mercedes dealership says that they don't service old cars.
So my question is: i've seen some used keys on ebay. If i buy one of those keys from a different slk car...can i make a frankenstein with the parts , and move the blade and my transponder chip to the ebay fob case and then program the remote to work with my car?
thanks

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,233 Posts
Short answer....no
How are you going to program it?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well...that's the question..if i put the transmistter and use my own transponder, is it possible to sync it with my car?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,233 Posts

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,136 Posts
Good question... You can buy a replacement shell and transfer your internal parts (be sure you buy the identical shell) so that your key won't fall apart.
I highly recommend epoxying the new shell together to make it "permanent" - the fleabay shells tend to come apart easily, resulting in lost parts if it comes apart at the wrong time and place.

I haven't heard of anybody replacing just the remote lock/unlock circuit board (although it seems like it should be possible in at least some cases).

If your MB dealer won't sell you a replacement key, perhaps you should talk to the management or escalate to MB corporate. Don't expect them to help you repair your key though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
re programming remote key fob

I've done this a few times with various cars. As long as you transfer the transponder without damaging it and make sure that the signal frequency of the remote circuit card (if yours is faulty and you purchase a new or second hand one) is same as that of your original one, typically 315mhz or 433mhz. Just follow the reprogramming instructions in your users manual. Or I'm sure you will find the reprogramming instructions around here.
Shouldn't be any problem - good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bought a 2001 SLK320 a few months back and it came with only one remote key. Went to local MB dealer and was told I had three options. 1. A new remote key, 2, a manual key, and 3, a manual valet key that opened door and ignition only. Had to give car serial number and proof of ownership and ID to purchase. They said that keys may, or may not work when purchased, and to make a service appointment for when they come in if programming was necessary. Since I had a working remote key already, I chose to purchase one manual key, and one valet key. When I picked them up last week both worked out of the package, so I saved the $150 service charge. Price of the two purchased keys amounted to around $120 out the door.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Michael! I'll give it a try!
And yes, the car starts and everything...only the keyless entry doesn't work.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
889 Posts
Short answer....no
How are you going to program it?

This post is a year old but pertinent to something I am working on.
The flip blade key fob parts I understand can be moved to another case with no programming. There is a little chip you have to be careful about but I understand they can be swapped.
The other style of molded key has to be programmed as I understand it,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.