Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found an SLK in Hudson, Ohio that has potential. Sounds promising over the phone, but of course I've BTDT and been disappointed. Is there anyone in the area that might be interested in taking a quick first look at it for me? If it passes your muster, then I'd likely want a mechanic to check it out before I make the journey myself. Your look can be as cursory or detailed as you care to make it.

Thanks.

Len
'59 220S cabriolet
'83 240D 347,500 miles original owner
'88 560SL 41,000 miles being parted out :(
'99 E300 turbodiesel 127,500 miles

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the first thing I thought about after talking with the owner. I forgot to ask for it and it's not listed in the ad. I thought I'd ask the person who volunteers to check it out for me to get it. Can you pull up the VMI for the car if I give you the VIN? I can get that from my dealer too, but he is an hour away. Don't know if you are connected with a dealership or not.

Thanks for the offer.

Len

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sulley - thanks for your offer. This isn't the one in Ohio, but it might also be a possibility. Can you run the Carfax on it please? I'll try not to be too much of a PIA on this, but I do appreciate your offer.

WDBKK65F03F292803

Thanks.

Len
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, Sulley, here is the VIN on the Ohio car - WDBKK49F53F291208. I have a copy of the service records, some pictures and the VMI coming my way from the current owner.

Len

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Len, here are the datacards for the two you are looking at.
Thanks - I have signed up for the EPC, so I already looked at them.

BTW, how is the transmission in these SLK's different from the one in my '99 210 chassis? The '99 is a 722.608. The SLK is a 722.618. Do the SLK versions have the same issues as the 210's, i.e. leaking O ring at the electrical connector, ATF wicking up the harness, filled for life which I don't tend to accept, use the special Mercedes synthetic ATF, etc.? My guess is that they are very similar, but I htought I'd ask.

Len

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,506 Posts
Thanks - I have signed up for the EPC, so I already looked at them.

BTW, how is the transmission in these SLK's different from the one in my '99 210 chassis? The '99 is a 722.608. The SLK is a 722.618. Do the SLK versions have the same issues as the 210's, i.e. leaking O ring at the electrical connector, ATF wicking up the harness, filled for life which I don't tend to accept, use the special Mercedes synthetic ATF, etc.? My guess is that they are very similar, but I htought I'd ask.

Len
Yes they do have those problems but they can be fixed easily, aside from the sealed tranny.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do all my own work on my cars and have been through a few of those transmission issues on my '99 E300. At least there won't have to be a new learning curve for the SLK's transmission. :)

Len

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to Sulley, the one Carfax showed accident damage. Current owner says he wasn't aware of any accident damage which may be true. However, since I'm being particular at this point, I'm scratching that one off my list of candidates. The Akron car still comes up as a good possibility. Everything the owner has been telling me is accurate and the Carfax shows me some positive things.

Still hoping for someone near Akron to check it for me to make sure it exists, etc. :)

Len

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.