Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
*Registered
2004 SLK350
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an SLK350 R171 (2004) as a project car and I love it already (never had to change a headlamp bulb through the wheel arch before :grin: )

Immediate problem is the fit of the front bumper. The previous owner "hit a black pig" and wrote off the original unit so put the current cover on.

The panel fit isn't bad but the star doesn't even nearly fit. Is this just a grill change of is there something more sinister here? (see attached).

The previous owner also managed to "lose" the inner liner from the front left wheel arch and the cover that fits under the bonnet air vent on the right hand side near the windshield. Can anyone help with the part numbers?

It would help greatly (my wife definitely thinks I need help but that's another story :wink: )

Attachments

·
Founding Member 2006
108,830 Posts
part 150?...

Attachments

·
Founding Member 2006
108,830 Posts
only 1 side has a cover. the one over the battery is open

Attachments

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
No idea where that star came from, but it's not the right one for sure ...

·
Founding Member 2006
108,830 Posts
if u want correct star part number let me know

·
*Registered
2004 SLK350
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, please. I believe the current "star" is the original which, of course, doesn't fit the AMG styling type cover at all.

The previous owner has also promised me he will get the correct specs for the bumper cover.

Also, thanks for the other info - it is very much appreciated as I start to get this car "right".

·
Founding Member 2006
108,830 Posts
Here ya go!!

Attachments

·
Registered 2007 SLK280
1,182 Posts
Item # 10 from the above plan is almost impossible to find in a used state without the attachment tabs broken. It is also challenging to install when and if you do.
I went down this road when I bought my 280 and it had a "matching silver " insert. I am not sure why it was silver but every other reference to these cars, shows a black insert. So I changed it.
I found a gently used black insert on ebay, ( a small miracle), it only 1 of 13 tabs broken and I gently/gingerly cut the silver one out and swapped in the black. The star from the silver unit is hanging in my office as the "newer" black insert came with its own. This ended up being a nice keep sake for a challenging project. I am glad I did it, but wouldn't want to do it again.

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
My latest confusion is that the "star" isn't connected to the bumper cover at all, just bolted to the top rail across the engine bay.
r

It should be connected to the bumper cover in a dozen places or so...

I'm wondering if it's from a 170 or other MB model

The AMG bumper covers use the same star as the non AMG ones

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
May need an entirely new assembly for the front upper grille area that would attach properly to the painted part. From the photos, it looks like the "nose" had been punched in.
I would recommend that the entire front bumper cover/assembly be removed and the front end inspected for "hidden" damage from the prior frontal impact. Also check the front radiator mounts for damage.

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
I'd agree with Eddy there

Something definately isn't right - the bumper alignment looks wrong - the star again looks ot of place - maybe there's more damage under there...

·
*Registered
2004 SLK350
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All good advise, thanks guys. I've already checked the "frame" for signs of damage (creases and such) and everything looks sound. It's also had a recent "controlee technique" (the French roadworthiness test) and passed without comment. The previous owner says he ran into a pig so I would only expect cosmetic damage although the wild pigs in the South of France can be "substantial" :smile:

The new bumper cover is a MAXTON DESIGNS ME-SLK-R171-AMG172-F1 and the panel fit is good all round for aftermarket GRP, including with the bonnet. I'll contact them on Monday morning for a chat.

Can anyone supply photos showing how the R171 upper grill should look with the bonnet (hood) open???

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
Ah ha - that explains why it looks odd - it's an aftermarket one ...

Couple of pics attached - the last one is with the bonnet open, but not with the chrome part of the star yet fitted, but when it's on , it should be flush

Attachments

Reactions: [email protected]
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.