Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cambria March 25, 26, 27 2011

The day started with some moderate rain at the Lake Forest waypoint but within 20 minutes of going north on the 405, it got dry and the sun shone bright as we drove on the HOV lane.

It is great meeting everyone - Peter and Jan, Todd and Grace in their dark blue SLK55, Pablo, Aaron and Bob (who met us for lunch), Matt and Annisa (who hooked up after dinner). We just had a nice time at the room discussing and brainstorming what we plan to do tomorrow: breakfast, drive, lunch, drive, meet up with Steve (Stinger) for dinner.

Below are some teaser photos. Aaron and Pablo have scouted out numerous stops on northbound 1, and probably a 3-hour mountain run with opportunity for roadside lunch for tomorrow. Alternate plans are in place if precipitation gets heavy. Sunday forecast looks awesome.

·
19,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some teaser photos:

Lake Forest waypoint with some precipitation. No biggie. Peter and Jan were 15 minutes early with their lowered SUV, I mean SLK :D

At the Gelson's market waypoint, it was sunny with some wet pavement.

Lined up for lunch at Nipomo, California. There was heavy CHP presence.

·
19,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lunch menu at Nipomo Ranch:

Some deco at the lunch place:

Pulled pork sandwich (smaller size or the baby) on the left, and tri-tip sandwich on the right. Smother with special BBQ sauce, these two sandwiches did not last long.

Reactions: Stinger and UK-C200

·
19,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are trying hard not to have a good time but it isn't working.

Fireplace, armoir for the "tele", work desk with high-speed CAT-5e cable on the left, standard in each room.

Wine being served between 3-5 pm.

Did I forget to mention cheese and crackers were served with the wine with nice fresh flowers to boot?

·
19,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Some afternoon images from Cambria. Did I forget to say that the roofs were down on 4 SLK's in nice sun and cool wind while driving on the PCH from 101?

One couple having their 2,011th honeymoon :D Guess who?

Going towards sunset:

·
19,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some random photos:

Outdoor lunch area (gorgeous weather I might say) at Nipomo Ranch

Dining area at Pelican Cove Inn (morning hot breakfast; afternoon cheese, crackers and wine in lieu of afternoon tea; evening desert and coffee)

"Roughing it" after a "hard days drive"

Wildlife on the boardwalk

View from dinner table at Seafood Chest (about 5 houses south of Pelican Cove Inn)

Another afternoon photo

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
603 Posts
On a visit to the States we drove from my sister's place in San Juan Capistrano up the coast on 101 / 1 / Big Sur to SF in 2006 and we stayed in Cambria in early September. The place we stayed at was the Fog Catcher's Inn right on the coast and it sure lived up to its name. We arrived at 17:00 and when we left at 11:00 the next day we never saw the sea. We paid extra for a room with sea view, which bordered the road and the sand was at the far side of the road, but the fog was so thick we couldn't even see the road, never mind the sea. We should have also been warned as the advert for the place said "fireplaces in all rooms" you needed it to keep out the cold. In the morning we walked out of the Motel and across the road intending to walk on the beach, but there were notices up prohibiting walking over the sand dune to the beach as it was being re-planted and restored. Only good thing I remembered was on the night we went for something to eat and everwhere was closed except a pizza place and it was one of the best pizzas I have ever eaten.

I have been on the Fog Catcher's website and it seems to have had a facelift, which it needed, but they can't do anything about the fog.

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,935 Posts
Great stuff, all! I'm so happy the weather turned out OK. The pictures are beautiful, especially with some cloud cover to give the sky more interest. You have to admit that the meet-up in Lake Forest was not a very auspicious way to start the event! :D Thanks for keeping us up to date. Am I sorry I'm not there? Yes... :(

Have fun today (Saturday). I'll be heading to the MB March Madness in a few hours. It's not completely dry here, weather forecast is very different depending on whether you go to weather.com, accuweather, NOAA, etc, so I have no idea what to expect.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,984 Posts
I am sorry we could not drive down to meet you guys. I am jealous . Thanks for the great pictures.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
The scenery looks awesome and the food and wine delicious. The dark clouds actually improve the scenery and provide more even light than the glare of direct sunlight, enjoy the show! I regret not attending!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hey guys.. Hope you're having fun. We had a blast driving up with you all. Sorry we had to split off after lunch but we had a GREAT ride home. We cut up through Ojai for a rather "spirited" drive home, testing the '55s limits. Can't say I think much of the Hankook tires, unless you like drifting. Hope those Hankooks work out better for you Pablo. Mine are a bit older and probably hardened up.

The Obligatory line-up:

Lots of parking lot chit-chat:

This horse REALLY wanted Grace's lunch:

no pictures of my lunch.. it disappeared before I could snap a pic.

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
It is 2:00, just now leaving the office. Gonna run home, throw some jeans, a sweater, tooth brush and some fresh skiveys in a bag and I'm .........101 bound to Cambria California:biglaugh:.

Just called the Pelican Cove Inn, they have a room for me. Will get there as fast as I can. Weather is still kind of bunk in the bay area. So, if you guys get too hungry, eat without me. If not, we can chow when I get there.

Etyu, if you happen to look at this, I will call you as I get closer.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
For tomorrow's Hearst Castle Tour #2 at 10:20am, I had made a reservation that I'm not using, so if someone in the group wants to use it, let me know. I sent a PM to Eddy with my phone number.

I called the ticket office and I can add an alert to my reservation with that person's name and then they can pick up the ticket and use it, so worth a shot. Enjoy!

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,935 Posts
Nice pictures, Todd & Grace. Excellent to see you got to exercise the new monster. I have had a pretty good experience with my Hankooks so far, even taking them to the Big Track @ Willow Spring where I didn't spin out going 100+mph in Turn 8 :D. But next time I'll probably try something else again (maybe Nitto?). Where is V6SLK's red 170 in all these pics?

·
19,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
March 26 snapshots

Although it did rain today (morning until late afternoon), it was not terrible. We enjoyed yesterday and enjoyed today even more, as it shows everyone's flexibility. PCH was closed about 2 miles north of Ragged Point (about 20 miles north of Cambria). We still managed a short run. Here are some more piccies and a short caption (if applicable) for each.

Early morning view of the ocean from room window.

Five SLK's at the parking area, ready for the day's activities.

Breakfast set-up next to the fireplace, very appropriate for a cold rainy morning.

Reactions: PWSLK and Bleen

·
19,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At one of the stops this morning. We enjoyed watching the sea lion colony on the sand about 30 yards away from the observation point.

·
19,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With PCH being closed, we decided to ask the folks at the Hearst Castle tour if we can do the tour today instead of tomorrow. They were gracious. As expected, the number of visitors were less than normal. We had a guide all to ourselves (8 of us: Peter & Janet, Matt and Annisa, Pablo, Aaron, Alicia & myself).

Below are a few photos of Hearst Castle from Tour 2.

·
19,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
We finished the Hearst Castle tour around 2:30pm and had lunch at downtown Cambria, and went for cheese, crackers and wine. We noted Stinger's post and immediately called him saying 5 SLK's will be out meeting him on highway 46 between Paso Robles and PCH. The rain had stopped and the skies opened up with patches of blue sky and sunlight. With the roof dried by hand, 5 SLK's left with roof retracted and drove up into the clouds and fog on Highway 46. Stinger (Steve) found us as we were on the roadside putting up the roofs (all had SmartTop) when the precipitation got a little heavy.

Below are photos taken after returning to Pelican Cove Inn. 5 SLK's left earlier, now we return with six. We told Steve we would treat him to desert and coffee :D

Boardwalk

Sunset photos (proof that the sun was shining in the late afternoon)

·
19,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As promised, Stinger was "treated" to desert and coffee although he declined the sweets. So NorCal meets SoCal.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts