Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm new to this and a proud(ish) new owner of a 2004 230 SLK bought from a second hand car dealer in London, England.

Forgive me in advance if I'm posting in the wrong place or if theres an active thread on this issue. I've had a browse but may have missed it.

Anyway, 10 minutes after leaving the dealer , my friend and I noticed a little noise coming from the engine. To cut a long story short and 4 experienced mechanics opinions later, my cam adjuster needs replacing. I have been quoted around £1000. Does anyone know a reliable garage/mechanic who can do this cheaper for me? I love the car and want to keep it but if this is the price I will very reluctantly have to let it go (and take a rather large hit). Dealer is not playing ball with me and looks like this is the next logical step.

I really would appreciate any and all suggestions/help that lead to me finding an affordable option to restore to former glory. Thanks all for your time!

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,476 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) - capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread, make a post, click on the ‘paper clip’ or go to ‘advanced’ and then ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’!
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome from Michigan.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum!
Are you talking about the cam adjusting magnet or smth else?!
Take a look at this thread and post:
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-general-discussion/34100-i-wonder-where-all-gunk-coming.html#post357432
Sorry, should have been clearer. I've been told the magnet is fine. In fact, I've been told that it looks new. I've also seen the "wire patch" so it looks like work may have already been done on it under the recall described in that thread you found for me.

The problem as I understand it is the cam itself. It's been warn down and is therefore making the noise which is evident when you lightly accelerate. Other than that the car drives very well but I've been advised not to drive it for now...

·
Registered
269 Posts
If the noise is not unbearable, leave it. My cam adjuster has been replaced. After ~40k miles, the rattle came back. Only this time the noise level is very low.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the noise is not unbearable, leave it. My cam adjuster has been replaced. After ~40k miles, the rattle came back. Only this time the noise level is very low.
Thanks Mantist.

Your view is one that I'd love to accept as repair is MEGA $. The only reason I'm enquiring is that I've been lead to believe that ignoring the issue could lead to even bigger and potentially lethal problems for the car. Have I been misinformed? I can absolutely live with the noise if it means not burning a hole in my pocket.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator/Florida Event Coordinator
13,926 Posts
Hi and welcome from sunny central Florida, USA!

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Hi Drivingforce, a warm welcome from Southern Arizona. Congratulations on your new car. Sorry to hear of your cam adjuster issues and a dealer who is not willing to work with you 5 minutes after the sale. Hope you find a reasonable solution. Enjoy the people, the forum, and top down cruisin'.

·
Registered
14,140 Posts
Hi! If you're ever passing through Finchley, listen out and you might hear my cam adjuster rattle ;)

Where are you?

Haha, pass thru Finchley every now and then i'll keep my ears open;) , i work west(southall) but live east (Walthamstow) so not a million miles away

I was going to suggest my indy, but he is near heathrow, bit too far?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha, pass thru Finchley every now and then i'll keep my ears open;) , i work west(southall) but live east (Walthamstow) so not a million miles away

I was going to suggest my indy, but he is near heathrow, bit too far?
Yeah thats a bit beyond whats convenient for me. But thanks for the thought. I actually dropped it off at White Rose motors in North Finch this morning - you know it?

Southall huh? thats where I got the car from 2 weeks ago. Name and Shame - "United Motors" - heard of them? Google reviews are thumbs down.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts