Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012-2015 Mercedes Benz SLK250 SLK350 Front Rear Red MGP Brake Caliper Covers | eBay

New here so 1st post, I am looking at these but am concerned about them being a USA fitting and that the brake callipers night differ from those on the euro spec SLK 250 cdi AMG like mine. Any help would be appreciated, the company incidentally say they have sold a number without probs but don't qualify that with the model make etc

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,860 Posts
2012-2015 Mercedes Benz SLK250 SLK350 Front Rear Red MGP Brake Caliper Covers | eBay

New here so 1st post, I am looking at these but am concerned about them being a USA fitting and that the brake callipers night differ from those on the euro spec SLK 250 cdi AMG like mine. Any help would be appreciated, the company incidentally say they have sold a number without probs but don't qualify that with the model make etc
You would pay £126.00 plus £42.00 delivery plus import duty charge !!
for those with a no known name brand ??
And basically a stick on type item . :surprise:

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
Welcome.
Please enjoy your car but ask yourself why you want calliper covers that are so obviously aftermarket. A MGP logo on a Mercedes is going to look a bit silly.
Dusty rusty callipers DO spoil a well presented car so consider painting them which is easily done.
They'll engrave whatever you like in whatever colours you like. If you watch the installation video they have some "Mustang" and "5.0" covers.

They're not my cup of tea, but everyone is different.

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts

What the Americans call "Sport Package" is what is called "AMG Sport" in the UK so they should be fine. But "should be" isn't necessary correct. Depending on how custom you want the engraving they probably will take them back if they don't fit.

I would definitely look at clearances if you're thinking of going to 19" wheels as these obviously make the brake calipers bigger.

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
They'll engrave whatever you like in whatever colours you like.
I am not too sure about this. They have fallen foul of doing this with some manufacturers. As they are based in a country where IP is governed by law, and they actually engrave the product, then they need the permission to use the name.

To the OP, you do not state what car you have or even wheel size, so on fitment advice, you are on your own. No one here is psychic! However, I have seen these on a Renault (without logo as they would not engrave the name) and if covers are what you like, then the quality is good.

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
I am not too sure about this. They have fallen foul of doing this with some manufacturers. As they are based in a country where IP is governed by law, and they actually engrave the product, then they need the permission to use the name.

To the OP, you do not state what car you have or even wheel size, so on fitment advice, you are on your own. No one here is psychic! However, I have seen these on a Renault (without logo as they would not engrave the name) and if covers are what you like, then the quality is good.
It's a fair point about the IP.

He does mention in the body of his post that he's got a 250CDi AMG Sport and he's got another thread running about fitting bigger wheels where he also mentions his car so I was reasonably comfortable he's got the same as me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Firstly apologies about lack of info on my self/car now corrected. I think these covers are the best of the type around they are expensive and i will have a long hard battle with my conscience before i press the button. My original post was just in case someone on here had installed them As with everything we do to our cars there will be likes/dislikes and opinions which is the way it should be.
So thank you again to all those who replied.

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
They are definitely far better than the plastic Brembo style covers that are ghastly.

From the ones I saw on a Renault, the powder coating is superb and looks the part. Also, the moulding of the cover is good insomuch that the cover pretty well covers the entire carrier and caliper of the original. The only give way was when viewed at maximum parallax where part of the original was visible (overcome by him painting the caliper underneath as well!) It is a nice clean product that does not end up making the car look cheap like the plastic ones. Go for it!

The ones I saw were plain as the manufacturer was unable to engrave the Renault name onto them, but honestly, being plain actually looked very well. If they will not engrave Mercedes-Benz, then please do not be tempted to go for AMG - not only is the AMG name totally cheapened by its over-use, AMG only use Brembo and these covers do not in any way resemble Brembos!

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,860 Posts
From what i can see of the photos

They just look like (metal ). cheap plastic covers and dont even look like some type of performance calipers as such or resemble a brembo type caliper .

If any thing they will make your car look like a cheap finish .
But by the looks of it with import costs very expensive .

Get your callipers cleaned up / painted and stick on a metal AMG logo on it or something .

£200.00 for a bananna shape metal ouch !

Put your money towards genuine brabus chrome door pins ?
Some nice genuine alloy center caps ?
Or some other mod thats is of quality .

Just my two cents worth .

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From what i can see of the photos

They just look like (metal ). cheap plastic covers and dont even look like some type of performance calipers as such or resemble a brembo type caliper .

If any thing they will make your car look like a cheap finish .
But by the looks of it with import costs very expensive .

Get your callipers cleaned up / painted and stick on a metal AMG logo on it or something .

£200.00 for a bananna shape metal ouch !

Put your money towards genuine brabus chrome door pins ?
Some nice genuine alloy center caps ?
Or some other mod thats is of quality .

Just my two cents worth .
You miss the point they're not meant to look like brembo callipers they are simply what they are covers for calipers as an alternative to painting. And I hasten to add if they were £20 or so a lot of car owners would have them except you of course. But each to their own!!!

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,860 Posts
You miss the point they're not meant to look like brembo callipers they are simply what they are covers for calipers as an alternative to painting. And I hasten to add if they were £20 or so a lot of car owners would have them except you of course. But each to their own!!!
£168.97 plus possible import tax ??

For that i dont think you will find many members paying out for that .
They just look to large and ..........

But go ahead order them its your money but i bet you dont . :grin:

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.