Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered 2016 SLC300
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions of a suitable calliper colour for an Indigo light Blue Slk as seen in the profile picture to the left (or as shown in 'Garage'). I would think that red would be too bling. Matt Black to drab.
Do Mercedes do colour variations? Or a good alternative from a 3rd party company.

Thanks

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,362 Posts
Maybe Gun Gray would off set it nicely. Have 2 agree with you they car is a light color red would would kill it. The Wheels are 2 light too maybe even a flat Gun Gray would off set it nicely...... Just a thought you ask.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
I bought my caliper paint from Halfords along with the high temp paint for the disc centres. Colour is all about taste and combination. a darker blue would look OK I reckon but not too dark

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:)The SLK 55 has silver calipers with black AMG/// logo. Great color that goes with any exterior color. Shows off the calipers without the look of red or yellow. Might be best for a classy look.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Have a look at the Japlac range of enamel paints, loads of colours available and perfect for the calipers.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Calipers dont get too hot so the paint temp is lower. But if like me you hate that rusty part of your discs and paint them Make sure its a high temp paint. I also avoided painting the face of the hubs as I felt metal to metal was advisable when bolting the wheels on

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
My personal preference will be silver for the caliper colour.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Did a bit of sniffing around the web to see what's available in hi temp paint. What about flat aluminum/silver colour? I'm sure I saw a thread on painting calipers including how to do the "Mercedes" on the caliper.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Calipers do get hot - compared to what "standard" paint is rated for, so whatever color you choose - I prefer silver myself - make sure you do use high temp paint...

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Calipers do get hot - compared to what "standard" paint is rated for, so whatever color you choose - I prefer silver myself - make sure you do use high temp paint...
They do get hot but not as hot as the discs. Provided you buy caliper paint thats designed for the job. Mine hasnt shown any signs being affected by heat. But very high temp paint is essential if you paint the none braking part of the discs.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The Japlac really is excellent, I gave it a bit of stick up and down Stelvio Pass; you could smell the brakes but the Japlac was fine. It is quick drying in comparison to most paints of its ilk too so you can add a second coat without having to wait all day for it to dry.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
The Japlac really is excellent, I gave it a bit of stick up and down Stelvio Pass; you could smell the brakes but the Japlac was fine. It is quick drying in comparison to most paints of its ilk too so you can add a second coat without having to wait all day for it to dry.
Same with Halfords. you can second and third coat almost straight away and brush marks disappear. Slick paint finish makes for easier cleaning. Brake dust blasts off with the pressure washer. Having my wheels you can see through the spokes easily, thats why I painted the centres of the discs. Hated seeing that rusty part.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK280
3,917 Posts
I too painted the center of the hubs with high temp flat black. Didn't want to draw attention to the hub, didn't like the rust, and wanted to focus attention on the new rims. With a diamond silver metallic SLK 280 I chose to go with MGP caliper covers in red to accentuate the black and silver rims. I stayed away from the silver because I thought it would make the calipers blend it too much (same color as the original rims and the brake rotor) and I thought black blended too much with the rims and the darkness of the wheel cavity.

The web site for MGP is: http://www.calipercovers.com/ and they also show a nice carbon fiber version. I believe you have to have 17" or larger wheels on the R171 for clearance purposes.

As stated above, it is all about personal preference, good luck with your decision.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Hey Jon - didn't you use the Halfords high temp paint on the calipers as well? On the '55, I've had my calipers get pretty damned hot. I think I'm going to drag the IR thermometer along on the next sheep chase - I know I could smell 'em cooking on the Evo Triangle run!

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Hey Jon - didn't you use the Halfords high temp paint on the calipers as well? On the '55, I've had my calipers get pretty damned hot. I think I'm going to drag the IR thermometer along on the next sheep chase - I know I could smell 'em cooking on the Evo Triangle run!
John I used dedicated caliper paint on them and they have been OK. For the black disc centres I used a high temp engine paint I think its about 600 degrees C. and again its shows no signs of deterioration after several months. I will go into the workshop tomorrow and get the names off the tins :)

I wouldnt like to say how the paint would stand up to track use. But I do use my brakes pretty hard as I do drive too fast according to the boss LOL

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
AH, gotcha! As I understand it, the caliper paint is rated up to something pretty high - 400ish comes to mind - which should be more than sufficient....

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've always been a fan of red, but on my Firemist red SLK it just didn't seem like a good idea. So I painted my calipers with a copper/gold color. I wish I had a decent pic, but I can't find anything that shows the calipers well enough.
I got the idea from my mom's 1961 MGA, having disc brakes was a big deal back then - so the factory painted them gold.

Now here's where you guys are not going to like this. I couldn't find a decent gold or copper caliper paint, or even high heat paint for that matter. So I used off the shelf rust paint from Home Depot!
That was about 6 months ago, car has been driven 100km's daily since and the paint still looks great.....But I haven't had the car on the track or anything like that yet.
I used the same Home Depot rust paint on my Sonoma's calipers, and i have tracked that, and the paint has been fine for 5+ years (including heavy winter use). But it is likely that Sonoma brakes don't get as hot as SLK brakes.

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,765 Posts
Calliper colours

Love your color! I would go with a bright white! It will get dirtier than the darker colors, but I think it would look great! Good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.