Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to swap out front pads and rotors and I'm have a hell of a time removing the pins holding the pads in place. Everything I've read said it's easy with a nail punch or screwdriver and a hammer. Mine however will not budge. I'm wondering if anyone else had this problem or if anyone has any solutions because I've run out of ideas.>:D:crying::crying:

·
Registered
147 Posts
So I'm trying to swap out front pads and rotors and I'm have a hell of a time removing the pins holding the pads in place. Everything I've read said it's easy with a nail punch or screwdriver and a hammer. Mine however will not budge. I'm wondering if anyone else had this problem or if anyone has any solutions because I've run out of ideas.>:D:crying::crying:
I had the same PIA issue, I broke two 3mm pin punches. I finally did it with a large heavy duty 10mm punch, I had to grind the end of the punch down to fit but the longer heavier punch allowed me to stand back and get a decent swing at the head of the punch. Before you try knocking the pins thro give them a clean and a smear of grease, this helps the pin slip thro the rear 'pin hole' more easily. When I refitted I deburred the pins and used some anti seize 'copperslip' on them...hopefully they'll be a bit easier next time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I broke a punch already too and I thought that was the last straw. Maybe I'll just have to hit harder. I tried to delicately use some pb blaster but the holes are just too deep for it to get to the "problem" area I feel like.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
3,726 Posts
wd40 left overnight , they can be a rite pig to get out. I take mine out at least once a year and put them back in with a bit of copper slip on

·
Banned
801 Posts
PB Blaster will get in there. Soak the area and give it some time. Some anti-seize when going back together.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried wd40 and pb blaster the other day. I'm gonna give it another shot today. Thanks for the tips

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.