Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
@LeonardoDaBenz and I pretty much hijacked the thread on painting R172 calipers so I thought I'd bring our discussion to the proper forum for Silkie.

My problem is I want to paint the calipers - as much as anything to make them look newer. The trouble is, they're only stock calipers on an electric blue car so not that special and difficult to match, colour wise without looking naff. Len suggests orange, the contrast colour for blue, while I was looking at another blue accent colour for the calipers. Searching images for 'blue cars with painted calipers' you get mainly red calipers, some gold and a few yellow. Most look wrong, or are advertising big or aftermarket brakes.

However, searching images for 'blue SLK painted calipers' I chanced across this rather splendid SLK32 and you know what? I think a satin black or charcoal would do just fine. Take a look at the site. Before and after photos are Photos three and four, with silver-painted bolts in at photos ten and twelve. The effect is just 'clean'.

What do you think? What did you do - especially if your body colour was blue?

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,237 Posts
I haven't changed my original position: I like the contrast.

I guess that goes along with my "life change". I used to wear banker-blue suits, white shirts, red(ish) ties, black loafers, etc. A model of "blend-in-ness".

Since I retired, I drive a '55 rocket ship (that I know is a 911 killer), I use a green-headed driver (golf), wear neon green golf (AND running) shoes and a neon green polo shirt :surprise: (but not necessarily all at once :wink: ) .

I've even got neon green socks :grin:

Now you know why I like the contrasting orange calipers (either paint or ABS).

Look at how you see yourself and what image you want to present to your adoring fans. That's the only way to decide what will make you happy with your choice. After all, you're the one that has to live with the choice you make.

:soap: :wink:

Reactions: savcom

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,748 Posts
I like the contrast on the 32. Tasteful.

The caliper looks good and doesn't draw attention away from the wheel.

My personal thoughts on bling colours for calipers?
IF you have performance kit it works.
IF you don't, only red tends to work.
Although orange and blue? That might.

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
233 Posts
I had this very debate myself on my SLK32. I ended up painting all 4 silver, as my car is silver and I think it offered a cleaner look overall. I'm super happy with my decision, it looks many times better than before. Everybody seems to paint their calipers red over here, so I guess silver is indeed 'different'. I used POR15 caliper paint, I don't know if you can get it on your side of the pond, but do it if you can. It's indestructible!

I only have this photo of one of my calipers, I'd snap one with the wheels but it's a bit rainy out at the moment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.