Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using one of the California Duster products? I know they come in a hundred different stlyes, lengths, etc form California Car Covers. Guess they are basically a brush with very long soft theads treated to pick up light dust.

I'm not sure if they work well or if they would damage paint. How do you clean them since they are not single use items? I currently use a microfiber towel and MG speed detailer.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I bought some disposable Pledge dusting brushes from Tesco for a couple of quid and they do a brilliant job. You get a plastic stick handle which the head attaches to. At the end of a 30sec wipe it's amazing how much dirt its picked up, cheaper than the California duster too. They are about 20 quid on ebay in the uk.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,379 Posts
Have used the california duster for over 5 years. It is great. Walmart probably the cheapest for it. $9.98

cheaper than 20 quid?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Original-California-Dash-Duster/14294931

The Original California Dash Duster has specially wax-treated cotton strands that literally lift dust off. Specially designed for vehicle interiors, this unique compact, wedge-shaped duster easily accesses hard-to-reach areas. This duster is safe and non-toxic so you can forget about spray waxes, dust cloths, and feather dusters.

Paraffin wax treated
Cotton fiber mop head
ABS plastic handle
Exclusive baked-on wax-treated strands lift dust
No need for sprays or cleaners
Saves time, money and hassles
1000s of other uses at home or work
Safe, and non-toxic

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,420 Posts
You do not wash a CA Duster. As you use it the dirty it gets the better it works. Just shake it now and then to remove the stuff from it. Works great for when there is a light coating of dust and pollen on the car. The first time you use it you might get some streaks from the stuff it is treated with, the more you use it the less it will streak and just pick up the dust. It is not a wash and wax looking but does get the dust off.

·
97,379 Posts
very true. first bunch of times, you go, what's it doing to my finish, but it is just the built in paraffin wax that does that.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Original "California Duster"

Been using using it for years. Especially great during the pollen season. Car is ALWAY clean before I use it, so it nicely gets the air dirt after a ride.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
I have one works great, the longer you have it the better it works. We have one in the appliance dept. at Lowes and they us it all the time. They sell them at Lowes as well, same price as Wal-Mart (or better known as Wally World here in the South) Go Gators :bannana:
Raybonj
Ormond Beach, FL:usa:
P1010703.JPG

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I have one, and like the others have stated, do NOT wash; the dirtier the better! I use it before I go to bed to get the dust off, so in the the morning, I can just micro fiber the moisture off the car before I drive to work(don't need the cold shower on those brisk morning drives to work with the top down :eek: ). I too use it after a drive.
One thing; do NOT store it in the trunk!!! The heat build-up isn't good for the "wax".

Reactions: Gregg

·
97,379 Posts
really? I always have stored it in my trunk

it is, after all:

Utilizing the same baked-in paraffin wax treatment

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
If the wax melts and coats the inside of the duster "sleeve", it kinda' ruins its effectiveness. I've seen this happen to people here in IN. If this hasn't happened to you, I'd say you've been lucky.

·
97,379 Posts
yeah, it never gets hot here in Florida. LOL!

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,935 Posts
Have used it for years on the SLK. I take the dust off every day before giving it a once over with spray detailer. As mentioned already, don't wash it, just shake it out. Mine is black from all the dust built up in the paraffin wax coating on the "hairs". I store mine in the trunk of the car as well and haven't had any problems with the wax melting. And it gets pretty hot in Southern California as well.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Interesting, but good :tu: I may just start carrying mine in the trunk.

·
Registered
414 Posts
"the dirtier it gets, the more effective it is". This marketing slogan bothers me. If true, then why don't we just go out in the parking lot and drag it around in the dust? ;)

I paid too much for mine, but with a dusty driveway, it sure comes in handy! All my cars for the last 5+ years have been white and I never noticed how dusty they got. Black shows everything!!!

·
97,379 Posts
you would think they would tell you after so many dustings to buy another but they don't. it is true. after 6 years, it gets dirtier and dirtier and works better and better

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good advice from you all on the California Duster. Picked a large one up at Wal-Mart for 12$ and it works like a charm! Can't believe that a clean car fanatic such as myself has lived without one all these years!

I'm thinking Christmas shopping won't be so hard this year.....California Dusters all around!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.