Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw one of these on the road today and had never really given them much thought before, but they do look kind of cool on the outside. They share the C6 Corvette platform, and I also found out that GM inlisted Mercedes and Porsche to help with the hard top...Don't know why they would want Porsche's help.

Anyways, I just thought it might be fun to see what y'all thought of them compared to the current SLK.

Did anyone consider it when shopping for their SLK? Has anyone test driven one?

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:)My wife previously had a 2003 CTS and I spent a lot of time on the Cadillac forums. The XLR when new, six plus year ago was neat. No real exterior changes since and I feel the look is dated. Not sure of the production numbers, but not many on the road. I wouldn't consider them "rare" in a good way. More like unpopular and over priced. The high end performance version is the XLR-V. Want class, consider the SLK versus the C6 Corvette.

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,161 Posts
As I recall, the Cadillac was quite a bit more expensive than the SLK and that kinda ruled it out for me. But I did want to take a look at one and there were none in the showroom here.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
547 Posts
I rented one for a week in Orlando and considered it at the time.

Overall I felt it was too small. I couldn't get two 20" rollerboard luggage into the trunk with the top down. The top also takes way too long to open/close and opens the trunk "wrong" way when operating, exposing all your stuff to onlookers. With the top up, the trunk is huge and rectangular.

I liked the Keyless Go, except the car let me lock the keys in the trunk. We had to have Onstar unlock it, after standing outside the car in a torrential thunderstorm for an hour in the Epcot Center parking lot. It took them so long since they had to contact Hertz to figure out the ownership info. The car should detect a key inside and not let the doors or trunk lock.

I loved the heads up display and the ride quality. It was soft, but stiffened up when you drove a bit more aggressively. It was the first car with Delphi's Magnetic Ride suspension system, later licensed to Audi, Ferrari and others.

Don't know how fast it is, but it felt plenty fast and I liked the V8 sounds. It got a lot of good attention since I think 2005 was the first year it was out. I felt the complements were nicer since it was an American car.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,054 Posts
I REALLLY REALLY like the XLR, but the only version i would get is the XLR-V version, and that's way out of my budget.

BTW, there are a lot of complaints about the roof, it's much slower, and opens up MUCH higher. Looks cool, but impractical in most garages.

I think the style will be considered a 'classic' look for this decade. the rare numbers will certainly make it a collectible, whether it's because of high price, or whatever.

It's a shame that they have already announced they are discontinuing it. I would love to pick up a used one in couple years for a daily driver.

·
3,054 Posts
btw, here's a picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
829 Posts
That is to an slk what a vx220 is to an Elise. Im not surprised they dropped it. Now a Corvette I could understand.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Xlr

Leased an XLR in 2005. Brought it home, drove it for about one month. I called the salesperson from Cadillac who I have dealt with for many years and asked him to keep an eye out for a potential buyer to assume my lease (had 35 more months left) One day I got a call from him with a buyer. We went through all of the GM red tape but finally got the deal done. I lost about $3,000 dollars but was able to get out of a big mistake. Leased a Porsche 911 and never looked back. When my 911 lease was up I got the SLK55. The XLR was in no way a sports car feel. If that is what you are expecting, look at other cars...

·
3,054 Posts
Leased an XLR in 2005. Brought it home, drove it for about one month. I called the salesperson from Cadillac who I have dealt with for many years and asked him to keep an eye out for a potential buyer to assume my lease (had 35 more months left) One day I got a call from him with a buyer. We went through all of the GM red tape but finally got the deal done. I lost about $3,000 dollars but was able to get out of a big mistake. Leased a Porsche 911 and never looked back. When my 911 lease was up I got the SLK55. The XLR was in no way a sports car feel. If that is what you are expecting, look at other cars...
To be fair, the XLR to the Corvette is like the SL to the SLK...XLRs are definitely more for straight lines and cruising...like the SL.

Both price and ride wise, you can't really compare the XLR to the SLK.

I actually really like the straight brutish cut lines on the XLR and the CTS!

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
547 Posts
It's exterior size is closer to the SL, but interior space is about the same as the SLK. I don't understand how people say it's "spacious". There is no extra space behind the seats like there is in the SL.

Clarkson on the XLR: Why American cars are horrible

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
547 Posts
Sorry, I think I posted the wrong clip. Here is one from the same movie where he drives it on the track.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.