Mercedes SLK World banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
* Registered
SLK 250cdi R172 2012
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Luckily I swapped main dealers after the first one left me a voice message saying that the time and date I booked on their system was not actually available and if I still wanted a service to ring them back. I can understand errors - the time slot and date not being available but poor customer service to just leave a voice message and throw the ball back in my court I thought, so I've gone elsewhere (still main dealer). They will, for £90 (an hours work) investigate and think they should be able to find the issue in that time (probably by plugging in the OBD as you say). I will find out on 1st Feb - if it's £600 to fix like yours I'll be ok with that, anymore than that kind of price and I'll not bother and just wear thermal underwear in the winter !!
I tried the warm clothing route, the problem is a front window that never clears of condensation! The £90 is money well spent. I bought an icarsoft reader for just a bit more money and can now read fault codes myself but didn't fancy fixing this issue.

Just curious but what year is your SLK? Mine is 2012 and the one the dealer just repaired was also 2012.. this might be an emerging problem for R172s in colder/damp climates.

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,286 Posts
npb748r profile to the left of his post says:
Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG

·
539 Posts
just picked her up from a B service and MOT. No issues there - wipers need replacing and my tirefit is 5 years out of date which I've been told for the past 4 years, I really should get a new one. More importantly the diagnostic work came up with a heater blend flap fault which is the fault you have I think ?? Quote to replace for me is £263 including parts and labour, getting it done on Friday.

·
539 Posts
I should have known it wasn't going to be that easy. The flap motor has been replaced and it's no longer giving error codes which is good. However, still no heat - it seems the reason for the motor fault is clearer now - the flap itself has no movement. I've had the car 4 years and the first thing I noticed was the really poor heating, at the time of purchase I'd say it was the worst heater in any car I've had over 40 years. So I now suspect the heating was slowly failing back then. Anyway, the flap is attached to the heating box, replacement part £400. Now the really bad news - fitting is 8 hours work with dash removal. Driven home tonight and its freezing - I can't drive all year round without heating so it's being fixed. The dealer has made a contribution which helps but it's a shed load of money that I'd rather keep in my bank ! @R172_Alex - how did you get on with your fix - I'm hoping it was cheaper than mine.

·
Registered 2012 SLK250 CDi
28 Posts
Went out to the car today after the most terrible storm overnight. I plugged in my reader and looked at the live data stream for the climate control. Started her up and played with the temperature control to make the blend flap move.

The problem appears to have resolved itself, yesterday it was jammed on hot and then on cold, With the code reader monitoring the flap it would only get to 35%. Today it merrily cycles between 0% and 100% and maintains the temperature properly. It does quietly tick as it moves but I think it always did do that. I left the car running for about half an hour while I looked at various readings and fiddled the temperature up and down. I couldn't get it to fail.

Maybe I will have to run the car once a week to keep everything free.
how did you diagnose the flap through obd code scanner as I have same issue? thanks I have icarsoft

·
539 Posts
how did you diagnose the flap through obd code scanner as I have same issue? thanks I have icarsoft
I had 2 faults, firstly the motor that drives the flap had burnt out, that's what the garage picked up on the scanner as a fault. The cause of the fault appears to be that the flap itself is seized which caused the motor to burn out and is not picked up on the scanner as I assume it's merely a bit of moveable (and expensive) plastic that's not connected to anything diagnostic. When I search my faults now using my carly scanner it's all clear. The issue with the flap and housing is that it's deep inside the car and is an 8 hour labour fix as the dash and centre console has to come out. The garage have assured me there's nothing else in the car relating to the heating that could be at fault here so hoping once done it's fixed. Mine's now booked in for next Monday and it's with them for several days. Expensive just to have heating but in this weather the car is not usable for me without heating. I'm coming to learn that like the other big German brands, our MB's look and feel quality but it's only skin deep ! I did at one point over the past 2 weeks, think about trading mine in for an F type coupe without the fix but my wife put me off again (she did that before I got the SLK as I was looking at a 911) by explaining how much of a @$%& I'd look getting in and out of the F type, so the SLK fix was done !

·
539 Posts
Heating finally fixed, it's been an expensive month - just under £1,500 in total to replace the heating housing and the flap motor. Just drove home and didn't realise how uncomfortable the car was without heating even though the weather has warmed up a bit here. On the plus side, I had a couple of areas on my central trim that were consistently squeaking and had done for the past few years with the noise progressively getting worse. Not an issue with the top down but annoying with it up. Having had all the trim taken out for the fix the squeaks are no more !

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
16,993 Posts
So @R172_Alex , have YOU got this issue resolved? Just askin' so we know how to proceed as it appears your last entry re: fixing it was

I have mine booked into an an independent service garage who reported they had fixed this exact same issue recently but they have to take out the whole heater box for the repair. Dashboard off completely so around 10 hours of labour. £600 to fix the issue but no choice and I need it to work.

Reactions: Avel Du and npb748r
21 - 29 of 29 Posts