Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the r170's (mine's a 1998) cabin air filter located and how do I check it? I know the r171 is under the left front floorboard. That's no help.:bannana:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,464 Posts
r171 under right front, not left

·
98,464 Posts
advance won't have mb (slk) cabin filters

·
98,464 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Advance Auto Parts has 6 different cabin filter choices for my 2001 SLK. They can ship direct to your house or pick it up in the store.

One nice thing about Advance returns, should you ever need, is an item shipped to your house can be returned at the store to avoid a return shipping charge. :bannana:

·
98,464 Posts
we talking cabin filter or air filter ?

·
Registered 2002 SLK230K
52 Posts
Cabin filter r170 2002
Have original filter I think (35000mls) but has been a smoker at some point
Have vacuumed the filter slats land it is clean but has residual smell
Can I wash it ??
Any suggestions
Thanks

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,071 Posts
Cabin filter r170 2002
Have original filter I think (35000mls) but has been a smoker at some point
Have vacuumed the filter slats land it is clean but has residual smell
Can I wash it ??
Any suggestions
Thanks

Wash it ??!!??

No just change it it will help your air - con
And heater etc

And if a smoker has had your car deff change it .

There cheap enough . :tu:

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
427 Posts
My car was owned by a heavy smoker, I mean everything was yellow. I pulled the filter and cleaned out a ton of leaves, etc out of it and blew it out. It still smelled so I turned it on high and sprayed a lot of Febreeze into the air intake. It took a couple of tries but that cured the horrid smell and didn't leave a flowery odor after a couple of days.

Febreeze is incredible stuff.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,071 Posts
My car was owned by a heavy smoker, I mean everything was yellow. I pulled the filter and cleaned out a ton of leaves, etc out of it and blew it out. It still smelled so I turned it on high and sprayed a lot of Febreeze into the air intake. It took a couple of tries but that cured the horrid smell and didn't leave a flowery odor after a couple of days.

Febreeze is incredible stuff.
Thats one thing that would put me off buying a car if it got smoked in .
Thank got they have removed the ash trays and lighter on the new ones . :tu:

·
Registered 2002 SLK230K
52 Posts
Thanks guys
I now realise that the cabin filter is the pollen filter and seems to sell at between £7 & £15; but I think I also saw a reference to a combined carbon & pollen filter so I am going back to see if I can find the ref again
Will post info if I do
Otherwise will go for a replacement filter -any recommendations on brands?

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
427 Posts
Ya know, after thinking about this for a while, the smell of the smoker isn't just in the filter but also in he heater core and all the ductwork leading to the vents, defroster,etc. So the Febreeze seems like the only thing that will work to get rid of the smell. And it really does work and it's so easy to do. Since this is the second time I mentioned this please know that I have no financial or other interest in Febreeze. I just like what it can do.

·
Registered 2002 SLK230K
52 Posts
Carbon cabin filter

Decided to go for a Bosch carbon pollen filter
Eurocarparts are doing a 25% voucher code "parts25" which brings cost down to £20 incl delivery
If that fails will go for the fabreze - good tip , thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 2001 320 and ordered a new carbon cabin filter yesterday. The old one was beyond done. I think I paid $24 with free shipping. This is an item no one should overlook in keeping their ride clean and odor free. Quick, easy and inexpensive.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.