Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Although I look the new body style, there are a lot of other cars I would rather have for the money. I saw a MB GTS on a car lot the other day - not a convertible but still really cool.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Although I look the new body style, there are a lot of other cars I would rather have for the money. I saw a MB GTS on a car lot the other day - not a convertible but still really cool.
A base GT is twice the price of a base Corvette though and the vette has slightly more hp and is mid engine. The amount of performance of the vette is pretty amazing for that price. The interior isn't going to be as nice, but is the GT $60k nicer? I would have a hard time justifying it. That hard top convertible might be my next car (or a convertible 911 turbo). I will be happy with my car for a while yet though.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I will definitely own a 2021 or 2022 C8 Convertible at some point. I'll wait till I can pick up a gently used one, and to see how the reliability of this new mid engine setup works out (and the reliability of their hard top setup).

When I watched the Jay Leno vid the number they quoted for how much weight the convertible mechanism adds was super low from what I can recall off the top of my head.

Even ponying up for the LT3 setup with more leather inside and everything as well as the front lift option for those steeply sloped driveways, it still comes in under 80k brand new. I full expect to be able to snag a 2021 or 2022 one with under 10k miles on it for under 60k.

·
Registered
76 Posts
A base GT is twice the price of a base Corvette though and the vette has slightly more hp and is mid engine.
No one buys the base model. However, I watched the whole video with Jay Leno and I must agree that the C8 is pretty impressive - time will tell if it is a success. I've owned a number of Vetts and have never been impressed with fit and finish over time the way I am with MB products.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well I never wanted a Vette before, but I will likely own that new vette in the future. It would likely replace my SLK. I was excited about the car when it was first announced, but that video has hooked me. I always say, "Jay Leno Garage is the best car show on TV". Thanks for the post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts