Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm a new member here and just thought I would say hi. I belong to a few other MB forums and have a 2006 C55 AMG. Since it shares the same engine with the SLK55.............

C55
362-hp, 376 lb-ft of torque, 5.5L, 24-valve, SOHC V8
C55 Curb Weight: (3,583 lbs)

SLK55
355 hp, 376 lb-ft of torque, 5.5L, 24-valve, SOHC V8
SLK55 Curb Weight=(3,420 lbs)

.......... I therefore have a keen interest in seeing what a lot of members here have done for a performance gain. I've actually seen a few of you (Alroumi etc) post on the W203 C32/C55 forums where I frequent also. For my C55, I'm looking into getting some headers (Kleemann would be my first choice but am considering others too), high flow cats, a Y or X-pipe (not sure which one I would need?), crank pulley, etc.. Anyways, I just wanted to say hi and hope I can make a contribution to your forum...

·
Premium 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the forum, nice to see you here.

In regards to the modifications my car is in process to be Kleemannized, I am heading for the Naturally aspirated route. In current date, I have already accomplished in installing the 3" 200 cell Kleemann primary catalytic converters and the SuperSprint/Carlsson X pipe; In addition the car is flashed by Digi-tec of Germany which also improves power and raises the topspeed in excess of 300kmh( depends on tyres) plus I have the Green filters.

I am currently just waiting for my Kleemann headers to arrive (heavily back ordered) and hope to get some Michelin PS2 semi slicks in the future. By removing the spare tyre and tools in the boot and accompanied by the heavy resonator, I have managed to decrease around 50kg which isnt bad for something you can do by your own.

Here is a video of my car with the exhaust setup ( no headers yet),

Good luck and I hope my post is helpful in guiding you to choose the ideal modifications, I wouldn't do the crank pulley and the under drive pullies as I've heard they decrease voltage and air conditioning power. I asked Dan who is the technician over here about them and he didn't recommend them to me.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Welcome Wawy. :)

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:Hi and welcome. Many here can help you with your questions. I'm content with the performance of my stock SLK 55, but I do enjoy the appearance and comfort mods.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Welcome wawy, whereabouts in Canada you located?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Alroumi – nice video, pretty much how I would like my C55 to sound. What you have done with regards to the exhaust is pretty much in line with what I was thinking. I’m not sure if there is any difference between the exhaust on the SLK55 vs my car.

FishtailnZ – I’m in Saskatchewan. A Stock 1/4 mile results: ET 12.72, trap 110.80, 60' 1.90 – Good work - that’s pretty good and what I would like to achieve.

Stock for stock, the SLK55 seems to be able get in the high 12's no problem while the C55 pulls low 13's consistently. Perhaps the weight difference accounts for this a bit?
As per some of the suggestions already, dropping a few pounds should be something that could be accomplished without too much effort.

A few questions: Does the SLK55 come with a limited slip differential? Also, does it have a true dual exhaust? Here is what the exhaust of the C55 looks like:

·
10,723 Posts
The SLK55 doesnt come with an LSD but you can install it for a reasonable price from tuners such as Brabus and Kleemann, for a complete diagram of the exhaust for the C55 checkout Supersprint and try to cover their offerings by mixing and matching from various tuners so that it is a much cheaper build.

In regards to the welcome, its not a problem you are welcome anytime over here I think it is me who directed you to this site in a Private message a couple of weeks ago.

Enjoy and good luck with the modifications my friend.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alroumi - Yes, I was directed here via a link you had sent with some aftermarket exhaust info..I'll check out the SuperSprint site for a complete diagram..

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
FishtailnZ – I’m in Saskatchewan. A Stock 1/4 mile results: ET 12.72, trap 110.80, 60' 1.90 – Good work - that’s pretty good and what I would like to achieve.
Thanks, hoping for a bit better this year though. :tu:

Stock for stock, the SLK55 seems to be able get in the high 12's no problem while the C55 pulls low 13's consistently. Perhaps the weight difference accounts for this a bit?

A few questions: Also, does it have a true dual exhaust?
The C55 is a couple hundred pounds heavier if I recall right, that would account for the difference I'm sure. Yes, the SLK55 has a true dual exhaust, with a center resonator - replacing which with an x-pipe is a popular mod, for sound quality if nothing else.

P.S. There is a Canadian specific MB site at http://www.mbfanatics.org that you might want to check out. :burnout:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I've been thinking it's time to start doing some things to the C55's exhaust. I like what alroumi and others have done with the SLK55's exhaust but I don't think SLK55 and C55 share the same set-up. For instance, I believe some of you have replaced the resonator with an X-Pipe. Well, I've looked under my C55 and I would think I need a Y-pipe as the exhaust has two pipes connected to the resonator and then just one exiting it that goes almost all the way to the back of the car where it finally splits into two (1 for each muffler). You can see from pics of the C55's setup so you can take a look. I guess my questions are this:

Do the X-Pipe and Y-Pipe accomplish the same thing?

Which do I need? (I'm pretty sure it would be the Y-Pipe)

If I replace the resonator with an X/Y Pipe can I eliminate my secondary cats altogether or should I replace then with Kleemann 200 Cell cats? Is there an advantage/disadvantage either way?

Here is a C55 owner that just cut out the resonator and replaced it with a straight pipe:

D

·
0 Posts
You will want a Y then mate, the effect should be similar to an X.

I wouldn't remove the cats but the Kleemann's should be good.

·
Registered
676 Posts
not much i have to say on the technical side, sorry abt that, however:

welcome aboard this forum wawy!

best
ir-ops

·
10,723 Posts
Hey wawy nice to see you post more often over here, your very welcome to stay.

Well basically I've been going over my exhaust setup for years now, I had a plan and did it thankfully. It all started when the resonator topics started to come out and I've been hearing constantly that the oem headers for the m113 are highly restrictive.

You see my exhaust setup is easy and its basically Kleemann headers with downpipes eliminating the primary catalytics then running to the Kleemann 200 cell secondary catalytics, SuperSprint/Carlsson X pipe and oem AMG mufflers.

I would suggest you is to get the Kleemann catalytics instead of the oem secondary ones and run a y pipe if you could, because straightpipes might sound too loud and reduce a bit of torque.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again everyone! I originally thought we shared the same exhaust but I guess not and it looks like I'll be getting a Y-Pipe and 200 cel cats. Everyone here has been very helpful!

·
10,723 Posts
Thanks again everyone! I originally thought we shared the same exhaust but I guess not and it looks like I'll be getting a Y-Pipe and 200 cel cats. Everyone here has been very helpful!
I assume that the C55 doesnt have a true dual exhaust setup whilst the SLK does, I am sure with the Kleemann 200 cell catalytics and the resonator removed you can feel an increase in power at midrange and the sound alone is worth it.

If you want a nice basic setup go with the following:

Airfilters
Resonator delete
Secondary catalytics.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.