Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeing more and more of these in the streets. Just saw and older gentleman driving one today. Are dealers selling them like this? Is Merc shipping them like this? Have anyone else seen them in their area or is this just a Puerto Rico thing? If the dealer is putting the badges on I sense an intention of deceit.

·
Registered
820 Posts
i see them here too :(

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems like its the dealer badging them. And while I'm not saying it's flat out fraud. I do see some level of deceit. For the common man It may look AMG but for people who know Benz it sticks out like a sore thumb.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,048 Posts
a lot of dealers have been putting them on. I've seen them everywhere. Also, a lot of them are stuck on by the owners.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Like M badges AMG isnt what it used to be. Alfa Romeo branding on GM junk whats the world coming too. Rant over

D

·
0 Posts
They use them to symbolize AMG body kit's, its not 'right' but its not 'wrong' either.

·
3,048 Posts
They use them to symbolize AMG body kit's, its not 'right' but its not 'wrong' either.
In the US, it IS 'wrong'. perhaps not so in other markets.

D

·
0 Posts
Maybe to AMG owners mate :tu:

Mercedes themselves do supply car's from the factory with AMG badges installed (with AMG bodykits) and BMW frequently use M badges to symbolize bodykit's on non-M powered models in all markets.

Lot's of AMG branded products are available for purchase, saying its wrong to put an AMG badge on the rear of a car with AMG parts fitted seems silly to me, its not really right to us AMG owners but no exclusivity is granted to us so we can't call it wrong can we, MB can use the badge as they see fit and if they don't want dealers/owners adding AMG badges to car's they can tighten controls on the supply, but they don't care.

Replacing the type designation is a different matter altogether.

·
3,048 Posts
Maybe to AMG owners mate :tu:

Mercedes themselves do supply car's from the factory with AMG badges installed (with AMG bodykits) and BMW frequently use M badges to symbolize bodykit's on non-M powered models in all markets.
I agree with you that MB doesn't care, and it's their right to do as they see fit with their IP, but they don't supply the cars WITH AMG badges on non-AMGs in the US. They WILL sell the badges right from the counter, and the dealers WILL install it for free.

D

·
0 Posts
Maybe not in the US, but thats a non-issue really isn't it mate.

If MB are prepared to supply them like that anywhere in this world then that tells you what they think about it, I've seen one on an A class fresh from the factory with protective wrapping still installed.

It's really not worth getting fired up about, who really cares at the end of the day.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm not overly worried about it. The only thing I don't like is the feel of deceit. I'd hate to see some poor guy get duped into paying for what he THINKS is an AMG car when it's not and he could've paid far less.

That comes down to the "buyer beware" cliche though.

If everyone was a member on this site they sure would know the difference wouldn't they? :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is what bothers me. I bet that a lot of these customers think they have AMG cars because of the AMG badge. I doubt any seller would go into detail about the difference. They woulkd just say AMG Sport Package with AMG badge. Because if it's not wrong I could technically put it on mine.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Maybe not in the US, but thats a non-issue really isn't it mate.

If MB are prepared to supply them like that anywhere in this world then that tells you what they think about it, I've seen one on an A class fresh from the factory with protective wrapping still installed.

It's really not worth getting fired up about, who really cares at the end of the day.
I agree with Dan, I see it a lot more on European and Asian cars, not so much here (at least not in Colorado), California is a different story, they have a lot of everything. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Within the past month i've spotted:
- S500 (w140) with AMG badge (no amg body kit)
- CLS550 (w219) with AMG badge (had amg body kit)
- SLK280 (R171) with AMG badge (No amg body kit. The only thing it had was the lip on the rear wheel fenders).

I guess its a trend....

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Must be - I saw a E320 with ///AMG's on it - no body kit either. On a more positive note, it was a glorious day in London today, and we had some top down goodness - saw maybe 4 other SLK in the course of the day - everyone was out with the tops down!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts