Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband came across a 2006 SLK, 40k miles, for $15K. MB never crossed our minds, and we know nothing about them except they are expensive to work on. Anyway, my husband thinks it would be a fun weekend car for me. Owner states she has never had a problem with it and just kept up with regular maintenance. Would this be a good buy? What is the typical mileage these vehicles make it to?
Thanks for you help!

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
106,115 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
* Premium Member
2009 SLK55 AMG
13,945 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

Ask jbanks15 to run the vin # on SLKworld. To check for accidents, salvage title etc...

Personally myself I would get a SLK 55 2008 or newer SLK 350. A recall maybe in effect on 2005-2007 on some 350's, . Spring socket valve I think??

Reactions: jbanks15

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
1,274 Posts
Welcome from Hillsboro, Oregon! As suggested above, perform the due diligence with a Carfax check and get the datacard so you know what equipment the car came with. If the owner has the service history, look that over and have a chat with the shop or shops that did the work as they will be familiar with the car. A 2006 car is in the range for the problem with the balance shaft gear wearing out prematurely, which is is a very expensive repair. At only 40k miles, this car might be suspect only because this particular flaw showed up at low miles...if you were looking at a car with 90,000 miles on it, there would be no worry since the problem would have shown up many thousands of miles before now. There are numerous threads on this board about this particular issue, which was traced to faulty manufacturing by a vendor.

How long will it last? If it has been properly maintained and you continue to do so, expect a minimum of 250,000 miles. Almost everything on a Mercedes-Benz can be rebuilt to as-new condition and the car can continue to provide years of enjoyment. I know personally of a car in my local area with 600,000 miles, now retired from daily driving but still being used. Another which is no longer driven regularly but kept as part of a dealer's personal collection is a mid-sixties diesel with a million miles on it.

No, I'm not a salesman for the brand...I've just owned five of them over the last twenty years and been eminently satisfied with them.

·
Banned
804 Posts
My husband came across a 2006 SLK, 40k miles, for $15K. MB never crossed our minds, and we know nothing about them except they are expensive to work on. Anyway, my husband thinks it would be a fun weekend car for me. Owner states she has never had a problem with it and just kept up with regular maintenance. Would this be a good buy? What is the typical mileage these vehicles make it to?
Thanks for you help!
The 350 at that price would be an outstanding buy and perfect for you.

The only issues you have to consider is it an oil burner or have the dreaded balance shaft problem? Those issues are easily enough discovered. Just ask JB! Of course, any used car is a gamble, and any Mercedes will be very expensive to fix. In that regard, you might investigate what repair facilities are available in your area.

BTW, are you sure your hubby really wants to buy the car for you?>:D

·
106,115 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

Ask jbanks15 to run the vin # on SLKworld. To check for accidents, salvage title etc...

Personally myself I would get a SLK 55 2008 or newer SLK 350. A recall maybe in effect on 2005-2007 on some 350's, . Spring socket valve I think??
Thanks! I will check w/Jbanks when I have the vin.
I'll have to research about the recall. The MB is a 350.

·
106,115 Posts
see my post 6 above. when u get the engine number, see if it falls in the affected ranges

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome from Hillsboro, Oregon! As suggested above, perform the due diligence with a Carfax check and get the datacard so you know what equipment the car came with. If the owner has the service history, look that over and have a chat with the shop or shops that did the work as they will be familiar with the car. A 2006 car is in the range for the problem with the balance shaft gear wearing out prematurely, which is is a very expensive repair. At only 40k miles, this car might be suspect only because this particular flaw showed up at low miles...if you were looking at a car with 90,000 miles on it, there would be no worry since the problem would have shown up many thousands of miles before now. There are numerous threads on this board about this particular issue, which was traced to faulty manufacturing by a vendor.

How long will it last? If it has been properly maintained and you continue to do so, expect a minimum of 250,000 miles. Almost everything on a Mercedes-Benz can be rebuilt to as-new condition and the car can continue to provide years of enjoyment. I know personally of a car in my local area with 600,000 miles, now retired from daily driving but still being used. Another which is no longer driven regularly but kept as part of a dealer's personal collection is a mid-sixties diesel with a million miles on it.

No, I'm not a salesman for the brand...I've just owned five of them over the last twenty years and been eminently satisfied with them.
Thank you! I hate to hear about the balance shaft gear issue. I will pass this info along to my husband. From what we have been told, the owner took great care of vehicle. Hopefully, she has kept all records.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for you help!
The 350 at that price would be an outstanding buy and perfect for you.

The only issues you have to consider is it an oil burner or have the dreaded balance shaft problem? Those issues are easily enough discovered. Just ask JB! Of course, any used car is a gamble, and any Mercedes will be very expensive to fix. In that regard, you might investigate what repair facilities are available in your area.

BTW, are you sure your hubby really wants to buy the car for you?
Haha. :)

It is a 350. I forgot to state that detail.

Easily enough to discover? Will running a VIN let us know if this car is included in the recall?

·
106,115 Posts
there were no recalls per se.

one of the issues is a class action suit but only from 10 years from purchase.

so get the vin, post it in the vehicle datacard req section
then compare your engine number with the ranges in the threads in post 6

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
there were no recalls per se.

one of the issues is a class action suit but only from 10 years from purchase.

so get the vin, post it in the vehicle datacard req section
then compare your engine number with the ranges in the threads in post 6[/QUOTE

Will do once we get it. Working on it now. Thank you so much!

·
106,115 Posts
and just to mention it, on my previous 2005 Slk 350, my engine was in the affected range for the balance shaft issue but not the oil issue and I never had any issues with the balance shaft issue.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Sounds like a good deal.... Get a Car-fax report on it.. Also take it to a local mechanic in your neighbor hood that you trust for a inspection. That's real low miles for a 2006....

jnc1948 Charlotte NC USA

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds like a good deal.... Get a Car-fax report on it.. Also take it to a local mechanic in your neighbor hood that you trust for a inspection. That's real low miles for a 2006....

jnc1948 Charlotte NC USA
Great, thank you! It's been a one owner and supposedly well maintained and never any problems. My husband liked the low mileage, price sounded decent, and of course the fact that it's a MB SLK. He saw the car and body/interior are pristine. He thinks I will enjoy driving it on the weekends. I'm pretty sure that I would too! ;) I plan on looking at it tomorrow and obtaining the VIN for research.

·
* Premium Member
2010 SLK300 2LOOK
15,239 Posts
Welcome from central Florida!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
and just to mention it, on my previous 2005 Slk 350, my engine was in the affected range for the balance shaft issue but not the oil issue and I never had any issues with the balance shaft issue.
Kinda one of those things that you have to wait out and see if it's gonna happen to your car?
Well, that's great you didn't have to go through that! Sounds like a night mare!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.