1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2 options right now are:

a 2006 280.. 55k miles.. base model.. for $19k.. dark blue

VIN is WDBWK54F46F102812

and a 2007 280.. 70k miles.. loaded with nav, HK sound, power everything etc. for $24k.. black on black

VIN is WDBWK54F67F147106

i am taking them to my mechanic today for a check..

the 2006 felt a little sluggish while driving but still good for me, and it seems that it didnt pass smog at one point from the history.. but it would be good for my first SLK it seems.. to get the feel.. it comes with 3 months warranty from the dealer.. when i check carfax on it it talks about some voluntary emission recall.. i wonder whats that about..

the 2007 looks great, felt good when driving, comes with 0 warranty.. a crack underneath the front bumper.. am wary of the milage..

both dont feel like good deals to me, i would like to spend less on a better car.. but i am taking them to my mechanic tomorrow, and see what he says.. my biggest worry is that the car will start breaking down on me, i been driving a mustang for the last 7 years, and i really dont know what a broken down car is, taking them to shops etc..

what do u guys think about those 2.. prices? what is that emission problem? what problems can i expect?

Thank you much in advance!

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Important thing to keep in mind is that you are purchasing a car for ~$20k that costs about $60k when new. Parts and service will reflect the original selling price and not what you end up paying for the car.

70k miles is not a lot for a Mercedes if it's been properly taken care of. A voluntary recall would not worry me one bit, and neither would a cracked lower front bumper - assuming it's a crack on the lower edge. This is quite common, as the car is lower than most curbs, so tends to get beat if you aren't careful. You are looking at ~$300 to have a bumper place repair it, or $800 to replace the bumper if you do the work yourself.

1] Pretty much a base SLK. Decent price, based on age and mileage. Personally I love that color!
2] Nicely optioned car, but missign heated seats and Airscarf, which I would want.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Important thing to keep in mind is that you are purchasing a car for ~$20k that costs about $60k when new. Parts and service will reflect the original selling price and not what you end up paying for the car.

70k miles is not a lot for a Mercedes if it's been properly taken care of. A voluntary recall would not worry me one bit, and neither would a cracked lower front bumper - assuming it's a crack on the lower edge. This is quite common, as the car is lower than most curbs, so tends to get beat if you aren't careful. You are looking at ~$300 to have a bumper place repair it, or $800 to replace the bumper if you do the work yourself.

1] Pretty much a base SLK. Decent price, based on age and mileage. Personally I love that color!
2] Nicely optioned car, but missign heated seats and Airscarf, which I would want.
thank you much!! i do think i get the blue one..

is the second one a little overpriced?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Get the newest best car you can afford.

If the vehicle comes with warranty even better.

I agree, have your mechanic check any vehicle prior to purchase: mechanical and body work.

I owned a 2007 280. Fun car. A bit under powered but did get 23-26mpg.

If the front cover is damaged, it will tear (ask me how I know). $1000 to replace plus paint. FYI.

If you are not ready to buy, keep looking.

I just purchased the SLK55. I would recommend it!. I have never driven the SLK350, you might want to see what your money can buy.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you guys

thanks for your input guys!

yes, i got noober's SLK 350.. my first SLK, very excited.. huge upgrade from my mustang.. been driving it all day.. fun! ;)

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,324 Posts
Congrat! and you haven't updated your profile yet with the vehicle info? for shame! LOL!

·
Registered
420 Posts
And I hope that she continues to give you the same fun and enjoyment that she gave me. She was a great little girl... So many memories... Enjoy!

Remember, do stick around this forum. These people here are always willing to help and there are tons of questions and answers to those questions to be found. Everything I learned comes from these guys and gals.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i will update right now :)

thank you noober, thanks for the amazing introduction to the car.. i will be here for sure! :) lilya is doing great..

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,296 Posts
Congrats to you and Noober!

Reactions: flashca
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.