Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I have 16 "wheels and looking to buy 18".
What tire size should I have for my SLK 200 (R171).
Can I have the same size front and rear or will it be narrower tire in front than rear?

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
Today I have 16 "wheels and looking to buy 18".
What tire size should I have for my SLK 200 (R171).
Can I have the same size front and rear or will it be narrower tire in front than rear?
Yes, generally our SLK's have staggered wheels at 7.5" front and 8.5" rears. There are a few on this forum (AZSLK for one) that have installed the same size wheels all the way around.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,584 Posts
Tires are staggered for many reasons:

Definition of Staggered Wheels

Identification

If a car has staggered wheels, its rims are of different sizes in width and diameter. When you buy and equip a staggered set of wheels, this usually means your vehicle's back wheels are larger than the front set. For some cars or trucks, this is a standard design; for others, you must buy a special set from a provider that makes compatible tires. As cars and tires have become more advanced, manufacturers have begun to offer more staggered wheel packages at their stores and online.

Features

Sometimes, the differences are small. The back set of tires may be only an inch wider than the front or 1/2 inch wider in diameter, but this is enough to make a difference in most vehicles.

Purpose

Sometimes people prefer the way staggered wheels look because the wider wheels allow for more lip--the part of the car frame that overhangs and protects tires extending beyond the body. Staggered wheels also have technical benefits: Wider tires mean more traction on the road and therefore better control, at least in the back tires. Your tires will also tend to be low profile, allowing for easier turning and braking.

Considerations

Though staggered wheels can make aspects of driving easier, they also come with difficulties. Staggered wheels make tires more difficult to rotate and can adversely affect driving. If the back wheels are too large, they can make it more difficult to brake in a short time. If you're switching to a vehicle with staggered wheels when you're used to driving without, you must change your driving style and expectations to compensate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.