Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
So it's not perfect. OR, this is what it SHOULD look like.. I'm more inclined to believe the latter.

Once I've grinded down with something like Drum Sanding Bits. I have to make sure I don't take away so much that it compromises the joint. But JUUUUUST a fraction more than flush. That little extra will have to be filled with fine filler that have to be hand sanded with very very fine wet sanding paper to get the best surface finish.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I watched Bumper Repair with Hot Air Plastic Welder a day or so before @efair posted his comment. It shows how to cut that .. "grove" out. @efair comment just clarified quite a few things I didn't understand from that. Also, the video starts with the "outside", but it's way better to start with the "inside" so that everything is nice and solid when the more sensitive "outside" is done.

That video uses welding, which apparently can't used on these bumpers. But as far as I can see, this glue I'm using is plenty strong! Especially with some aluminium mesh to strengthen the bond.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,387 Posts
You are doing great, although you are making extra work for yourself on the outside - try to put just enough epoxy to bring it slightly proud of the finished surfaces. Then wet sand it. The drum tool on the Dremel is a bit crude and will need filler afterwards. Try to avoid doing things that require filler!

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
You are doing great, although you are making extra work for yourself on the outside
Thanx! "On purpose".. Kinda..

It's better to put to much than to little. What I DON'T want is to end up with a to weak bond. If I ever do it again, I know better and can adjust the amount better. But this first time, better too much (and sand it off) than too little (and have too fill with filler and might end up with a weak(er) bond).

I read using heat on PUR will just crumble and disintegrate it. Never tried it though.
That actually rings a bell somewhere deep inside. I might actually have tried that "back in the day". But then I didn't know that there's MANY (!!) different types of plastic and they're NOT all the same!

There's no better place to say "right tool (or bonding material) for the right job (or base material)" than this :D :D.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
The .. "tricky part" is when you put to much on and you start sanding it off, you start sanding it off too hard! So you take more than you should, more than what you would have ended up with if you put the "right" amount of glue to begin with..

So stop the power tool at the right time and then do that final touch by hand is the .. "secret" to get it perfect. That's where the filler comes in. You want to end up with so little filler, it just barely covers the surface. It should NOT fill a (deep) groove, which mean you'd ended up with a weakened bond. Only just smooth out the surface, so you get a nice pretty surface for the paint.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
The main teacher at the school where I trained as a pannel beater was of the "old school". He FORCED (!!) us to ALWAYS use tin/lead instead of filler. He would go ape-s**t crasy if he saw us using plastic filler.

And it's actually MUCH easier, once you get the hang of it, to use tin/lead than filler! The plastic filler is only, as he called it, used to "fine tune" the surface finish.

How To Lead: Leading a Body Panel with Gene Winfield - Using Body Solder Kit from Eastwood

OBVIOUSLY (!! :) :) ) you can't do that with plastic. BUT, the principal is the same - only use filler to fine tune the surface finish. Not to fill in gaps or holes etc. That's what the glue is for!

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Oh, yes! Me thinks this is going to look great! Now a cuppa and then I'll do some light hand sanding..
Wood Art Building Floor Table

Wood Material property Automotive exterior Automotive tire Hood

Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Wheel

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
After some light sanding with 60 grit sandpaper, it's looking quite nicely!
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tire
Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Some primer to show if there's anything with the surface finish I need to fix. It FELT good (stroking it, and yes I know how that sounded :), but that's the only way to know), it LOOKED good..
Hood Automotive tire Aircraft Vehicle Airplane
Wood Automotive exterior Rectangle Tints and shades Automotive design
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper Bicycle part
Tire Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel

It was quite clear that it DOES need a splash of filler. I didn't expect anything else, but that primer makes it easier to know WHERE..

Some even lighter sanding to prepare for the filler.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Helmet
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Bicycle part

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Time to put the filler on and wait an hour or so. It say "wait 30 minutes before sanding", but..
Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle World Vehicle
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Bicycle frame Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design
Automotive tire Wheel Hood Tire Automotive lighting

I'm not going to touch this corner. It's hidden behind some .. "gills" and it's quite good as it is IMO.
Hood Bumper Wood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Are you using any adhesion promoter on the plastic?
No. It doesn't say that I need it..

But maybe I should, doh! We'll see how it turns out. I didn't seem to need any on that black "splitter thingie" I did earlier. It's made of something else though, so.. We'll see..

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Ohhhkay.. Not sure why this is happening. But the filler is "shining through" the primer..
Hand Arm Leg Human body Glove
Aircraft Airplane Automotive tire Automotive design Hood

But some wet sanding with some 240 grit and then 320 grit and then primer again and it looks perfect!
Automotive design Wood Automotive exterior Fender Composite material
Hood Bumper Automotive design Fender Automotive exterior

There is a few more places where I need to sand some more though. And a few pots which could need some more filler ^ :).
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

But all-in-all, this is turning out amazingly good!

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
2,281 Posts
From my experience, if your two-part epoxy is too runny just wait a bit whilst it cures and then use it when it’s the consistency you need.
The great thing about Araldite is that because it’s in separate tubes you can mix the quantities differently to get the consistency you want.
I guess if you’re using one of those ones that comes in a syringe you can just remove a small part of which ever one you want to in order to get the consistency before you stir them together.
A little experimenting would tell you what you wanted to know whilst you were waiting for parts to arrive 😊

You are doing a really good job 👍🏻

Reactions: Turbo

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
What filler are you using?

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
First layer of white! I'm SOOOO excited! It looks awesome. At a distance :D. It's not covering 100% and there's a few places where the paint have been rinning ("run marks"?), so I'll need a few more layers (with sanding in between).
Event Bridal accessory Automotive exterior Paper

This is "The Bad Corner". Almost invisible!
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Machine
Tire Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire

Hopefully I can "blend" the new paint with the old enough so it doesn't look like it's been resprayed in the corners..

41 - 60 of 76 Posts