Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Can’t you leave the mounting points for the parkings sensors on and just cover them with painters tape?
I won't be painting the back side, just the front ("outside").. It's not painted NOW and it's very hidden, you can't see it from anywhere anyway.

·
**Premium Member 2014 SLK200
3,809 Posts
Quite possibly held on with trim tape. If no obvious clips they could easily be damaged if attempt to pry off. May be best to mask them off.
Professional body shop may be able to advise.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,387 Posts
I would guess they are secured with double-sided tape (they is how the Pre-FL are done). Try a very thin putty knife?

·
**Premium Member 2014 SLK200
3,809 Posts
Fishing line used like a cheese wire might work too but the issue, if the trim is attached with tape, is getting the tape residue off the mating faces in order to achieve a clean smooth surface to re-fix.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Finally got everything I need to start..

The aluminium tape I got might be too thin, not sure. It just barely serves the purpose to keep the parts together on the smaller parts..
Wood Gas Tints and shades Beige Paper
Wood Tints and shades Ceiling Natural material Rectangle

I cut a very thin strip of the mesh, bent it in a kind'a "U-shaped" strip with my finger nails and then layed it out in the groove I grinded out. Then made sure it was kept in place with a strip of aluminium tape. Hopefully I'll be able to get the tape of once the glue have hardened :).
Sleeve Wood Tints and shades Pattern Fashion accessory
Hood Wood Bumper Floor Automotive exterior

It really is exactly like ketchup!!
Dishware Table Wood Serveware Material property

It may not look very good now, but hopefully in a day or so I can sand it down a little bit so it's not so .. super-obvious maybe.. I'll be carefull not to take to much. This is on the inside, so it's not THAT worriesome.
Wood Fluid Automotive exterior Gas Tints and shades

On that big one, the mesh strip "floated" (kind'a) to the surface. So I had to push it down for the 15-20 minutes it took for it to solidify enough to keep it in place.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Gas

The smaller ones was somewhat easier.
Wood Tints and shades Water Fender Helmet

This corner might need some more glue once it's hardened properly, because no matter how I did it, I couldn't get it level. Because it's RIGHT at the edge! But we'll see what it looks like when I do the "front" side later this weekend. I'll give it a day or two to harden. There's no real rush, so better give it as much time as I can.
Wood Beam Gas Tints and shades Fixture

To make sure that that corner stayed in the correct shape, I had to use some bracing and electrical tape..
Hood Automotive tire Wood Road surface Bumper

But it really IS very important that the surface being glued is level! Because it is like ketchup the first ten, fifteen minutes, it will simply flow away if it isn't! So I did them in sections. Waiting about 20-30 minutes or so between the cracks. By that time, it was solid enough to not flow freely.

Not anywhere near dry or hardened, even though it say in the instructions that it'll set in 15 minutes, cures in 30 minutes. After an hour, it was still sticky, kind'a like half-hardened shewing gum. But it wouldn't move or flow away just because I moved the bumper at least. Othervise, this would have taken weeks! :D.

Had to be carefull so that I didn't stress the joints and they'd separate (the aluminium tape helped in keeping it together - which is it's purpose in this process!), but just being carefull seems to be enough. Well see for sure once it's hardened properly in a day or so what it looks like.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
411 Posts
I hope your glue stays really flexible. I used 1 component plastic glue primer and 2 component plastic glue and a large mat of reinforcement material on the back

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hmm, I don't know.. Don't think I could have done it any better first time around, but it's not TOO bad.. I think.
Wood Floor Table Flooring Tints and shades
Wood Bumper Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanx. I thought I'd remove the extra-extra excess at least, but leave as much of it as I can.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,387 Posts
Also... too much coffee again this morning sorry... I notice you're using the tan-colored epoxy... so when you start grinding from the front you'll have to pay extra attention. That's why I recommend using black - it contrasts with the paintwork, making it obvious when you've ground deep enough to expose it.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Yeah, I realised that after I've payed for it. Your link went to the tan one, but I didn't pay attention so I just bought that..

But now I know how thick the material is. As in, how "deep" the cut/crater/whatever is going to have to be to get to "about half". So I'll make sure I don't take to much.. Also, I now have the front ("outer") left and that I need to take extra care about anyway. So I'll be extra carefull on this side.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Did the outside surfaces of all your repairs end up flush?
More or less. That small triangle bit (see first photo in post #31) isn't quite nice.. But I'll sand everything down and whatever I take to much, I fill with filler.

I updated the link, sorry about that!
Not a problem. I could work around it, but for the future user that's good.

I'm actually a trained car sheet metal worker ("panel beater"?). I've never actually worked with it, but the teachers (that used to work with it before they switched to teaching) said I had "very good potential".. One of the few jobs I actually ENJOYED doing. Don't pay that much, which is why I ended up in IT :D.

So with your help, I think this is going to be just magnificent once it's done. There's still a lot of work down..

Add the tan link (in that bottom, last sentence) just for the future user if anyone is brave enough and want to do the same adventure as I'm doing now :D.

For the future reader, I'm talking about post #2. I can't stress enough (like @efair did in that post as well) how important that information is! It's the whole key to even getting close.. Understanding it properly is absolutely vital!

21 - 40 of 76 Posts