·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love my 2002 SLK230 and can even live with the leaky roof - Black Towel to match the upholstery and 2 litre Tupperware drip catcher -But I cant believe that to change two intermittent brake light bulbs/ holders costs £400 plus! - The bulb holder melts onto the rear lamp cluster damaging and distorting the holder socket and the contacts causing intermittent brake light failure, making it impossible to remove the holder to replace it or get at the bulb - Mercedes solution is to replace the rear lamp clusters. At great cost! This fault was subject to a recall on specific VIN number ranges - I was informed by Mercedes UK that my car did not qualify for recall -as it had revised design rear lights that did not melt - but the design fault is still there. Beware!

·
Premium Member
3,506 Posts
Part of the problem is that Mercedes changed the lamps in the housing as part of the recall & many places still recomend the original style lamp as a replacement.

Here's the entire recall notice with the updated lamp replacements.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for this info
I understand that this recall only applied to Mercedes USA
I pursued with Mercedes UK who indicated that the Recall did not apply to my 2002 SLK230K
Subsequently I have had failure of both rear light clusters with fault as detailed in Recall
and have had to replace both at my own expense of about £400
Silver

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can anyone direct me in the replacement of the instrument cluster bulbs? Not the warning lights, just the cluster illumination.

Thanks,
Ken

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just had to have my brake lights repaired and they used a $29 kit to repair. It plugged right into socket and the the bulb plugged into it. By plugged, i mean, push and twist. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.