Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered 2004 SLK230
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to you all again.

I am quite regularly getting the 'bulb-out' warning light coming on and upon checking the situation there are no bulbs that can be visibly seen to have been blown or even just not illuminated because of filament damage or any of the other known causes.

The initial issue was the NS (RHD 2004 Face lift SLK) STOP LIGHT.
After getting out of the car and checking the light bulb it was still working.

What could be causing this annoying issue ?

This is a head scratching situation that is going to leave me bald !!!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,460 Posts

·
Registered 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
2,621 Posts
Hi,

Yes, MB's Bulb Failure systems all monitor current drawn, so if there is a bad connection, the bulb can still be alight, but too much / too little current drawn and on comes the warning, this can also happen if a bulb with wrong wattage is fitted .......................

The Bulb Holders in these R170's seem particularly bad for poor connection. I had to sort mine out, 1 stop lamp and one reverse lamp when I first got it, new holders are not expensive :wink:

Another reason can be these silly LED Bulbs, the newer the MB Car the worse that situation is ...................

Non R170 Cars with SAM Units, (no lighting fuses), really don't like them.

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
Registered 2004 SLK230
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi jb. Thank you for the link. I did an initial search as requested but clearly I was not using the appropriate words,wording,phrases !!!

Stupid question !! - Where do you start ? Are we talking actual fittings that are attached to the car and forming Earths or is restricted to light fittings and their Earth connections or is it just one in particular that has proven over the years to have been troublesome ?

·
Registered 2004 SLK230
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

Yes, MB's Bulb Failure systems all monitor current drawn, so if there is a bad connection, the bulb can still be alight, but too much / too little current drawn and on comes the warning, this can also happen if a bulb with wrong wattage is fitted .......................

The Bulb Holders in these R170's seem particularly bad for poor connection. I had to sort mine out, 1 stop lamp and one reverse lamp when I first got it, new holders are not expensive :wink:

Another reason can be these silly LED Bulbs, the newer the MB Car the worse that situation is ...................

Non R170 Cars with SAM Units, (no lighting fuses), really don't like them.

HTH, Cheers Dave
Hi Dave. Thank you for your extremely easy to digest reply.

I must be honest - I suspected as much when a neighbour remarked that one of my brake lights looked a little dim compared with the other albeit I had fitted a brand new brake-light bulb only a few days earlier.
The bulb that I had replaced was flagging up as duff but the filaments were intact.

I will look into getting a premium brand (possibly Bosch) full set and replacing the individual bulbs on a systematic 'pairs' basis.

·
2,621 Posts
Sounds to me like you have the wrong bulb, or a bad connection on the Bulb Holder to Lamp Circuit Board :wink:

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
42 Posts
Mine did the same. My problem was the socket. It felt like it was in, but after pulling out and re-attaching three times, light worked, warning gone. Tricky little sockets....

·
Registered
32 Posts
My lamp failure warning came on today. It goes away when shutting off and restarting the car, but re-appears when I apply the brakes, so it is a brake lamp on the driver side. The filament appears to be unbroken, and the lamp and socket are in perfect condition. I swapped with the passenger side socket and lamp, and then neither side worked. Returned both to original locations, and again the driver side did not work while the passenger side was OK. I went to Canadian Tire to buy a replacement bulb #1154 as per the manual, but noted in the store that the voltage and wattage were not correct, so we consulted the store computer to see what they had for a 2001 SLK230. I bought a pair of the listed part number (I think it was 7506 - it is out in the garage at the moment) and when I got home I found that it would not physically fit in the socket as the pins were in different locations. I don't want to go to a Mercedes dealer for something which should be so simple, but I may have to because in the process of swapping sockets & lamps, I removed the socket for the tail light and dropped it to the bottom of the car. It was in view, but in attempting to snag it with a grabber device, it squirted away out of sight. Solution is to purchase a replacement socket & lamp and leave the original forever in the bottom of the car. I am certainly NOT going to disturb the Hydraulic Pump for the top in order to access this area. Meanwhile, I am left with a non-working brake light on the driver side, and tail light on the passenger side.
Has anyone had to purchase replacement bulbs and can provide part number information, please ?

·
Registered 2004 SLK230
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My lamp failure warning came on today. It goes away when shutting off and restarting the car, but re-appears when I apply the brakes, so it is a brake lamp on the driver side. The filament appears to be unbroken, and the lamp and socket are in perfect condition. I swapped with the passenger side socket and lamp, and then neither side worked. Returned both to original locations, and again the driver side did not work while the passenger side was OK. I went to Canadian Tire to buy a replacement bulb #1154 as per the manual, but noted in the store that the voltage and wattage were not correct, so we consulted the store computer to see what they had for a 2001 SLK230. I bought a pair of the listed part number (I think it was 7506 - it is out in the garage at the moment) and when I got home I found that it would not physically fit in the socket as the pins were in different locations. I don't want to go to a Mercedes dealer for something which should be so simple, but I may have to because in the process of swapping sockets & lamps, I removed the socket for the tail light and dropped it to the bottom of the car. It was in view, but in attempting to snag it with a grabber device, it squirted away out of sight. Solution is to purchase a replacement socket & lamp and leave the original forever in the bottom of the car. I am certainly NOT going to disturb the Hydraulic Pump for the top in order to access this area. Meanwhile, I am left with a non-working brake light on the driver side, and tail light on the passenger side.
Has anyone had to purchase replacement bulbs and can provide part number information, please ?
Hi s230. Taking into account that you drive on the RHS of the road and we English drive on the left;your initial issue in principle is the very same as I experienced.
Yes applying the brakes appear to be a coincidental factor so I replaced the brake-light bulb with a brand new one;it sorted the issue but only for a short while.

There is still no issue with the bulbs;they are all working perfectly well,but one day there will be failure and that will attract the 'Boys in Blue' like flies around a cow-pat
When are English weather improves I am going to look at replacing both brake-light bulbs.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
1,807 Posts
Tip of the day! : Tape or tie bulb holders to body (car body not yours :D) before attempting to remove said holders, saves a lot of grief if you do happen to drop them into dark inaccessible places ;)

I found that scuffing up the oxidised connections with emery paper/sandpaper or sharp implement on the holders and the plate that they push onto works a treat. Bending the contact points or adding a touch of solder to raise them and make firmer contacts also helps.

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
42 Posts

I bought my replacement bulbs at the Autozone. it's a Philips bulb....I just can't read the number... But the counter man pulled it right up. Try an Auto zone search.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Removed the driver side tail light lens by undoing three nuts, disconnected the multi-pin connector, removed sockets and re-installed, reconnected the power connector, and Voila ! all driver side lights working OK. My only problem remaining is the dropped and now missing socket and lamp on the passenger side, resulting in no brakes, taillights, turn signals. I presume that like the old Christmas Tree light strings, one missing or faulty lamp causes all others not to function. Mercedes wanted a mortgage on my house to provide parts, so I shopped on line at Rock Auto and ordered sockets. Bulbs can come from local auto parts suppliers. I now place a soft microfiber cloth below the area where I am handling slippery items with a chasm lurking below. I will have to be content to drive the Miata or Civic, as I will not drive without functioning turn signals. I am old enough (78.3/4 years) to remember how to signal with an arm out the window, but I doubt if most other drivers around me would recognize its meaning. If I have ordered the correct socket, I should be back on the road in a week or so, I hope.

Attachments

·
2,621 Posts
Hi @silver230 ,

I am almost certain that having one holder missing will not cause the other lamps not to work ...................

Unless as I suspect in your particular case, you have a bad Earth on that lamp.

I'd suggest while you're at it, remove the whole lamp and clean up all connection points and test the actual metal circuit strips on the back of the lamp for good continuity, also clean up / tweak all bulb and bulb holder connections and you won't need to re visit for a while.

You might even find that bulb holder, you really should, or you'll likely get an annoying "roll ---- donk" noise ever time you accellerate / brake, turn etc. With the lamp out you can see clearly down and get your hand into the cavity and have a good rummage about, (clean thought please >:D ) :wink:

Top Tip, Dielectric grease all connection points and make certain they are good tight connections :smile:

HTH,

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi @silver230 ,

I am almost certain that having one holder missing will not cause the other lamps not to work ...................

Unless as I suspect in your particular case, you have a bad Earth on that lamp.

I'd suggest while you're at it, remove the whole lamp and clean up all connection points and test the actual metal circuit strips on the back of the lamp for good continuity, also clean up / tweak all bulb and bulb holder connections and you won't need to re visit for a while.

You might even find that bulb holder, you really should, or you'll likely get an annoying "roll ---- donk" noise ever time you accellerate / brake, turn etc. With the lamp out you can see clearly down and get your hand into the cavity and have a good rummage about, (clean thought please >:D ) :wink:

Top Tip, Dielectric grease all connection points and make certain they are good tight connections :smile:

HTH,

Cheers Dave
Your are quite right re the missing socket not the cause of all lost lights. One socket was not attached properly and one is missing. I borrowed the back up socket and lamp from the driver side and moved it to the empty hole for the taillight on the passenger side. This is temporary, as the passenger side tail light is now brighter than the driver side, but I now have everything working except one backup light, so it is safe to drive until the new parts arrive.
David

·
Registered 2004 SLK230
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi to you all out there and thank you to all that contributed especially those that really suggested worthwhile approaches to what was a really exasperating issue.

Well the issue is solved at last with the purchase/investment in a brand new lamp unit that believe it or not came complete with bulbs holders and bulbs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts