Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out which bulb is failing, and I'm having a hard time. I was thinking that since there's a couple threads where people have the same problem, maybe a guide to the "bulb out" dash warning is in order? I have two basic questions.

1) What actually triggers the warning light? I know it's supposed to illuminate when there is a bulb that's supposed to be on but isnt. Is this based on current? Does it ever illuminate when all bulbs are functioning correctly? I replaced a few bulbs recently, and I'm wondering if I have a voltage miscompare between driver/passenger side or something.

2) Which bulbs does it monitor? Is there a list? When do they turn on?

I have tried narrowing it down when turning my lights on and off, and I think that the following is true:

Light switch in OFF position:
Test brake lights by depressing brake pedal. (left, right, and center)
Test turn signals by using turn signals or flasher. (driver/passenger side mirror, fender, and headlight turnsignals)

Light switch in Daytime Running Lights (DRL) position:
Turn signals on headlight and fender on
Tail lights driver and passenger on

Light switch on ON:
Headlights on

Pull switch OUT for fog lights

Reverse for reverse lights

Other bulbs:
others?
- license plate

As always, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
150 Posts
With the bulb out warning, it is all about resistance in the wire and circuit. I have seen replacing a bulb with an LED will not only give a "bulb out" warning it will give hyper flash. Sometimes you can fix the bulb out with a canbus LED bulb but may not fix the hyper flash. A resistor (50W 6 Ohm - very common) would help but they last about 2 years. If you can find a 50W 8 Ohm (not common) they would last longer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.