Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been informed by my local independent, I have slightly buckled rear wheels, possible cause by hitting a potholes. Am I the only one?

·
Banned for no reason !!!
305 Posts
Just been informed by my local independent, I have slightly buckled rear wheels, possible cause by hitting a potholes. Am I the only one?
Nope your not the only one , my wheels on the balancer are all over the place , got them balanced with loads of weights , but they still track up and down on the machine, i assume thats the same problem your on about ?

I notice wheel vibrations from the rears at around 70mph ish. I plan to find a better balancer to see if indeed it is the wheels ? or the machine balancer mounting ? as they hold it from the exterior of the rim with a cone ,and with this width on wides they should be mounted from inside cone or similar, to run accurate ,prior to balance..

·
Registered
390 Posts
Just the price you pay for running low aspect ratio tires on aluminum wheels. 40 series up front and 35's on the rear don't leave much sidewall cushion for impacts. I don't know what the roads are like in the UK or Spain but here in the Northeast US, these sort of tire/wheel setups are livable. Damage is pretty infrequent. But, I'm OK with a real world sports car running 45 aspect ratio tires for just this reason. Manufacturers are getting a little silly with these super low profile tires. They look and handle great but I don't drive on a track everywhere I go. And our roads do take a beating from winter freeze/thaw, frost heaves, and heavy traffic.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The '06 SLK55 I had inspected with 48k miles (and missed out on in the end) had the front and rear passenger side wheels bent, as in out of round on the inner rim. Left front had a crack on the inside too. All the support is on the outside of these wheels, i.e. the spokes, so it's hardly surprising the inside rim is less than perfect after some time.

cheers
SunnyGL

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Just the price you pay for running low aspect ratio tires on aluminum wheels. 40 series up front and 35's on the rear don't leave much sidewall cushion for impacts. I don't know what the roads are like in the UK or Spain.............
After an extended cold spring and more rain than you'd believe, the roads in the South East UK would lead you to believe that someone had been practicing anti tank measures on some of them. :tazz:

Driving on anything but the motorways is an exercise in pothole dodging.

I hit a hole on my motorcycle ( BMW r1100 rt ) that dinged the front rim and cost over £400 to replace :tazz::tazz::tazz:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts