Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK200
2,363 Posts
Looks like a job for a thread extractor and than replace part. I guess main danger is remaining part breaking up and falling into system whilst extracting it.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,219 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since I have not actually used the valve, I'm unclear on what is left in the car. Is this a threaded plastic rod that seats against something like a shower valve? If so, that suggests I could just spin the remaining portion out with an EZ Out and screw in a new one. On the other hand, is this more like a ball valve that just turns 90 degrees to open and close and thus the remaining part will not just unscrew?

·
98,219 Posts

·
98,219 Posts
part 8 drain screw

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I guess if I try to remove the existing plug, my big concern is the little barbs breaking off inside. The plastic is oviously VERY brittle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I replaced my plug without any problem with the prongs breaking. For others who run into the same problem, I figured out a neat trick. The small hole in the remaining part of the plug was just the right size to jam in a T-25 screwdriver. It fit snugly and securely and allowed me to twist out the broken piece like a charm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.