Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all I have a broken front coil spring anyone point me in the right direction for a DIY tutorial, best tools etc
I am in rural France and accessing an Indy is difficult.
Thanks
Marauder

·
Registered 2008 SLK280
457 Posts
Do not think there is anything special about the way SLK springs are fitted so your local Citroen etc dealer or even homme in a shed should have any problem fitting a new one.

Best practice, suspension and brakes is to do both sides.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK 350 R171
4,281 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
I did mine about 1 year ago, for the same reason.

removing the strut is easy, and very logical. Takes about 1 to 2 hours to get them out.

However replacing the spring is not so easy, as MB used a coil spring with very few coils, which is very difficult to compress, and needs to be fully compressed.

Unless you have the right tools (I bought one of these https://dccf75d8gej24.cloudfront.net/images/products/02/020411030/61B5E336-6F14-4E50-BD90-9F58EE0C3710-huge.jpg and it was still awkward) then just take them to a good garage and pay them to replace the springs.

Here are some videos of the job.

Also the rubber pads at the bottom can go missing, and not available seperatly, so either remove both rubbers, or as i did, found some very thick silicone hose on ebay, and insert over lowest coil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts