Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently hit something while driving, the other day. Where can I get a cost-effective replacement? If I can switch both to LED, even better. Any suggestions? ('09 SLK 55)

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,122 Posts

·
94,122 Posts
or put some Clearbra on those fog lights! :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I ordered a replacement from eBay ($38 vs. $178 from the dealer). While I have an 8 mil clear tint on the (expensive!) headlights, I've got 78,000 miles on the fogs (not worried). :)

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
I have Lamin-X film on my fog lamps, after losing each side to pebble or small rock in 2 different occasions.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, got my new fog light assembly in. Anyone have a link to instructions on how to replace? :)

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK350 R171
791 Posts
So, got my new fog light assembly in. Anyone have a link to instructions on how to replace? :)
Hi - the 'search' magnifying glass at the top of the page is your friend :smile:
Type 'r171 fog light' and you'll find this post amongst others ...
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-class-diy/310833-foglight-bulb-replacement.html

Although it's a tight fit, they do come out through the front, you just need to fiddle it around until it comes out.

Another very good link to keep is this http://www.slkworld.com/sitemap/f-193.html which has all sorts of DIY help.. with item 167 giving you a full step by step guide in a PDF link.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Much appreciated! Will follow the SLK 55 instructions & see how it goes. SLK World to the rescue! :)

·
94,122 Posts
Rupert don't need no stinkin badges! :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Obviously, since I'm clueless about what they are... :)

Having said that, this was the most trouble-free auto repair job EVER! Neither of the links were entirely accurate. However, I DID need the tools from the PDF. Unscrew the (3) 15-torx from the front fog light grill (there was a sensor attached to the grill - that didn't need detaching, just let it hang the grill down), unscrew the (4) 20-torx from the lamp housing, pinch the lamp connector & pop off (there's a rubber grommet inside the housing that stays on & keeps moisture out), twist out the bulb housing, make sure new lamp housing is adjusted, twist in the bulb housing, screw in the lamp housing, screw in the grill & DONE! :)

Thanks, guys! You're the BEST! (Now, to get a suitable hand pump & oil pan - for the next little project...) :D

Soop

1 - 11 of 11 Posts