Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MOT time and I thought it was gonna be a sail through until he found a broken front coil spring, snapped where it sits in the shock mount so could have been a worse place.

Anyone had broken front coils??

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
1,760 Posts
Hi All
Yea had mine sorted last year , I replaced both front springs ( broken at the top )& I had a leaky shock on the other side ,so had both of them replaced at the same time the car had done 73000 miles so not bad . I use all OEM parts not cheap but as they lasted 70000 + mile last time & I have done 50000 of that . There is a thread with prices on so do a search .

Cheers

Andy

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
1,893 Posts

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
1,893 Posts
Did think about H&R lowering spring kit but 40mm drop was a bit too much for my liking.
I wouldn't lower either (speedhumps!) but interestingly, this comapny offers the same Sachs product for all standard R171s:

Coil Spring for your MERCEDES-BENZ SLK (R171) 200 Kompressor (163Hp)

Coil Spring for your MERCEDES-BENZ SLK (R171) 55 AMG (360Hp)

Coil Spring
SACHS - Ref: 994 078
Fitting Position rear axle
Suspension for vehicles with standard chassis
Suspension For vehicles with sport chassis
VIEW PRODUCT
List Price £40.18
Our Price £30.94

Cheap too!

ETA: Whoops, these are rears.

·
**Premium Member 2004 SLK350
5,653 Posts
Not sure for slk 55 but for slk 350 there are 5 different coil springs. If you give me your vin nr i can check

Seems that are only one for slk 55
a 1713211704
2xyellow 1xorange

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,858 Posts
Broken coil springs are so common now days they seem to be as common as worn brake pads .......

And yes on mercs also very common its essential you match the coils springs with the colour striping on your old coils .

Yes pot holes add to them but also think its because there seem to be a cheaper quality steel there using ( pattern parts ) as new ones break after warranty often. :frown:

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
1,893 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've already told the MOT garage to get the springs and booked in for next Thursday to have them fitted and a MOT retest.

On a brighter side I done my roof seals and no more creaks when driving, silence is golden. Hahaha.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ETA: Reply from Ebay:

Hi there,

Thanks for your interest. These springs originate from Germany and the brand is Suplex. Can you forward me your vehicle registration number so I can check compatibility for you?

Best Regards

Nicky
If you wanna use my reg to see if they are different feel free to use it. V8MGM

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.