Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Christmas Eve I was driving with the top down looking at Christmas decorations. On Saturday my area (Washington DC) is going to get hit with a blizzard of potential historic proportions. I needed an all season tire quick.

I enjoy starts from lights, cruising at a reasonable rate of speed, and dont race.

I went with the Driveguard cos their run-flat feature was a plus. Had it in a BMW years ago and it was worth the piece (sic) of mind knowing I could crawl to a repair place when I am driving in the middle of nowhere.

I am aware that there may be cornering and sound issues with the design but I faced worse. I was raised in a NYC Catholic School.....by nuns.

Thoughts? Comments? Were you waiting for some poor dope like me to take the run-flat leap so you can hear what a dumb decision it was after a few miles?

Chris

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,132 Posts
Chris, don't hate me because I am beautiful

Run flat tires are the worst. No, really. That’s what people say. It’s true. J.D. Power says so. Yeah. That guy who does the surveys. And hands out the trophies. No not the big silver ones, the glassy corporate-looking ones. You know the ones. You see them in those car commercials.

Last week J.D. Power and Associates, which is actually not just some guy but a bunch of people, released the results of their 2013 U.S. Original Equipment Tire Customer Satisfaction Study, which found that most people hate run-flat and low rolling resistance tires.

Everyone Hates Run-Flat Tires

The Pros and Cons of Run-Flat Tires | Edmunds.com

Run Flat Tires: Why You Should, or Shouldn?t, Buy Them » AutoGuide.com News

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But-but-but Sarge! BMWs had them!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,132 Posts
Even more of a reason not to follow THAT herd of......

·
Premium member 2001 SLK320
801 Posts
I really wanted to put a set of Michelin

Cross-climates on my beauty, but Michelin don't make the tyre in the appropriate size for the rear 17" wheels. I still might put a set on my SL, she's due a change of rubber. If they are as good as made out, I could be kissing goodbye to all my winter wheel collection.
I don't like run-flats though. My Dad had a set of Dunlop Denovos way back when, they weren't much good.:|

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.