Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was suggested I start a thread on this project, so below is my first pass issues.

Electrical problems include. No Power windows, No power locks, No turn signals, No top down, do to windows I imagine. I think the window washer pump is out also.

Side mirror problems. Driver side has delaminated. I placed a replacement over it. One of those sheets that you cut to size and it acts as the mirror. It is temporary fix, but should work for a while. Passenger side mirror is in the trunk. The brackets are totally broken. I will need to purchase a replacement of the housing. I put a temp mirror in its place for now. It looks like crap, but is safer until I can find and install parts.

Rear view mirror is loose. Not sure how to tighten it yet.

Center console rear storage area has screws out of it. It looks like I can just put the 2 screws back in. Not sure why they are out.

Interior has the paint problem that they all have, but I saw a video on how to fix that, so I will take care of that soon.

Headliner is being held up with pins, so it will need to be replaced.

Aftermarket stereo was installed, and the dash was not really put back together well. It is loose towards the bottom, and there is a gap from the main piece to the bottom section. Not really sure all speakers are working either.

Driver's side door interior handle works, but is at a bad angle, not in line like the passenger side. I will need to pull the panel to check this.

Both doors have an area missing at the front of the doors, interior. When the doors are shut, you cannot see this, but open doors show that a part of the panel seems to be missing.

Air filter was nasty, so I will be picking up another one tomorrow. (complete)

I think I will take it to an auto electric repair shop. I really need the turn signals, and other power things to be working.

Also suggested "If you open a thread asking for info, I'm sure someone with an EPC can get you the correct part number for your VIN!" This was in reference to the PSE unit. VIN# WDBKK47F1YF150260

Thanks for any help. I am a little side tracked right now, as I am replacing the front fenders on my Jeep Wrangler to get rid of rust.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,085 Posts
so you need the pse part number?

standby...

·
95,085 Posts
part 10 in parts list

PUMP
CENTRAL LOCKING MECHANISM

A 170 800 08 48

Item no. Part number Designation/description Quantity Version
10 A 170 800 03 48 PUMP
Replaced by: A 170 800 04 48
-
10 A 170 800 04 48 PUMP
Replaced by: A 170 800 06 48
-
10 A 170 800 06 48 PUMP
Replaced by: A 170 800 08 48
-
10 A 170 800 08 48 PUMP
CENTRAL LOCKING MECHANISM

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for supplying the part number for the PSE. I am continuing to research, but not sure the PSE is the problem. It does not control many of the things that are not working.

Update. The windshield wipers are out also.

Unrelated, but I have a weird problem with the key. Many times it does not want to be removed from the ignition. I sometimes turn the car off and on 3 times or so before the key will release.

·
95,085 Posts
Have you mentioned how old your car battery is?
unless i missed it

slks need a great battery. anything less and the electronic gremlins come out to play

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No idea how old the battery is. It was not marked when it was installed. I was wondering about that, as I saw it mentioned on one of the posts when researching. The PSE part is about $450, and I am just not sure about it being bad.

I ordered a new battery. It was $200 plus at batteries + bulbs, but it is the AGM, dual purpose battery. 4 year free replacement. If this solves my electrical issues, it would be awesome. I am hoping to pick it up tomorrow, if it is in stock.

·
95,085 Posts
Let us know. Battery is usually about $160 from MB
Walmart also has :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No luck with the battery. I went to get it, but it was not the correct size, way too long to fit. They said it works in most of the Mercedes, but no way it was fitting my battery tray.

I had them check out my current battery and it is really strong. It looks almost new. Former owner only had the car a few months, but I texted him to see if he replaced the battery.

I think I solved my key release problem. You have to let go of the brake to get the key out. Never had that issue before.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Battery is less then 6 months old, confirmed by seller.

I tried to find a salvage yard around here, but none have SLK. That stinks. I really need a passenger side mirror housing in black. I found it online for $272.

I will probably take it to a guy that specializes in auto electric work tomorrow to work out the electrical issues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, electrical guy does not work on Mercedes. I have an appointment for next Tuesday to have the electrical fixed, by the only place I could find in town, besides the dealer.

I found a side mirror on Ebay for about $170, which is much better then the new price. Probably not much update until next week, when I get the electric fixed.

Quick question, is there another fuse box by the glove box? I heard there might be.

Thanks,
Brett

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,218 Posts
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-general-discussion/2521-slk-glove-box-manuals-r170-r171-r172.html

From another thread:
Re SLK R170 '99 I was searching for the location of the fuse box not the obvious one under the hood the other one inside the car

well after a painful few hours I located them and took pictures of them for anyones reference.

it's beside the light switch but you must have the door open to see two fixing screws removal is with a small coin, and there is about ten fuses in there, hope you find this helpful

vic

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the links guys. I had found the fuse box on the driver's side. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any other ones.

Thanks for the links on the parts also, I am good for now, but good to know.

The rear brakes are shot, so I cannot drive the SLK right now, not that I would with all the electrical problems.

Busy working on my jeep right now, so not much of an update. I was able to get both fenders back in place, so tomorrow I will be mounting all of the engine bay items back into their places.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, I have all things electrical working again. The Control Unit - Body Module had gone out and shorted the washer pump. The mechanic said he had never seen that combo, and he works on mostly Mercedes for more then 25 years. They also replaced the belts for me, and clear codes, etc. That is the good news, cost was $1,448.

The bad news is that the hydraulic rams are leaking for the top. Estimated repair cost is $4,500 to get that fixed. Since I can just leave the top in place, I am hoping I can repair the hydraulic rams myself and save a ton of money. Because if not, then I have a hard top, not a convertible.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320
1,032 Posts
Roof cylinder repairs have good clear write-ups here, just search.
$25 for kit with O-rings off ebay, and people report possible to do all 5 in a day, or at least a weekend if slow.
So forget spending $4500,
Glad to hear your electricals were mostly one module, Pelican Parts show that one for about $1350 so you did well to get all that work for just a bit more.

It's all quite managable with the info here,
Cheers,

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
220 Posts
Thank you for supplying the part number for the PSE. I am continuing to research, but not sure the PSE is the problem. It does not control many of the things that are not working.

Update. The windshield wipers are out also.

Unrelated, but I have a weird problem with the key. Many times it does not want to be removed from the ignition. I sometimes turn the car off and on 3 times or so before the key will release.
Make sure you take your foot off the brake pedal. I had that problem when I first bought my first R170. Parked the car and tried to remove key but it would not budge!
Pulled out the guide book, and there it was in black and white, foot off brake before key will come out!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Any slk230 or crossfire pse should work. I have a 2002 in my 98.
By mirror housing you mean the painted plastic that goes around the mirror?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did some research last night about the hydraulic actuators. Already ordered the parts on Ebay from shockwavetechnologies. I am excited about fixing it myself as I could not afford the $4500. Currently unemployed.

I have all the mirror parts I need. I was going to change the passenger side out yesterday, but I did not have a torx wrench small enough to get the door panel off. I purchased the torx yesterday, but ran out of time. The passenger side is the whole housing, and I bought it on Ebay for about $170 with shipping. On the driver side, it is just the mirror itself, and I bought that off Ebay for $30.

I did finally figure out the key thing. It just took me a couple of days to figure out the brake trick. (I did not have the manual at that time.)

The reason the electrical repair was not as bad, is the mechanic found a used part in California. It was $400, instead of $1350 - $1400.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts