Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,761 Posts
Obviously a " Green " council and wants people to use bikes , jeje !!

Not sure you'd get a Mercedes Sprinter van through there , how daft can you get ?

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably a bicycle riding tree hugger who has a degree in traffic management but has never driven anything. UK councils are full of them. A dark night and an angle grinder would solve the problem. I am all for slowing traffic down into villages but there are much better ways of doing it. The most effective if not cheapest is a set of pedestrian lights just inside the 30 mph limit that are linked to a speed sensor. If the vehicle is doing more than 30 mph the lights turn to red. They soon learn that if the stick to 30 the lights only change if a pedestrian is actually using the crossing.

·
Registered
333 Posts
That would make me so angry! I'm on a short fuse at the best of times. The pedestrian light sounds like a much better option, but why would a local council do the most sensible thing?

(not meaning to be political of course...)

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As a local unpaid parish councilor I can tell you that dealing with highways ( my responsibility) is a bloody nightmare. They come up with any half backed idea that is the cheapest option they can think of. I have been told that in leicestershire Highways are now the County Councils lowest priority

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
interesting...we tend to use speed bumps for this purpose here...one could do real damage with these-not good....

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have speed humps in all shapes as sizes. They have limited effect and just serve to annoy drivers who dont speed . We have a movable speed monitor that we put on lamp posts around the village. It flashes up your speed and serves as a reminder to drivers. It also records the time and the speed but not the vehicle. We use the data to evaluate traffic flows and speeds through the village. It has recorded speeds of over 70 mph in a 30 limit. If you could see the road it was on you would be shocked

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
yeah, we have those monitors too...fortunately Texas is very anti speed camera, so they only monitor and show your speed, no picture,no ticket...good thing for me! speeding in residential areas is just stupid, as you say-I might actually support cameras in those places. The worst issue we have here is red light running-you must wait a sec or two and check when your light is green to be sure no JA is coming thru against the light...

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am in favour of Red Light cameras. We have some in the city but one set of lights still has T bones despite the cameras. Speed Cams are OK if they are located where they are designed to slow the traffic for safety reasons like some dangerous junctions on highways, but not when they are used to raise money as many are. ( round here they call them Safety Camera vans ) but they do publish online where they are going to be located all week so you can be pre warned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts