Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I want to thank everyone who has posted and given me such a great database to research my new car. I've been looking for about a year, drove at least a dozen r170 or r129's. Found a nice one and bought it. One owner, all maintenance records, snow tires on rims, a big box of parts. Best of all is the 5 speed. It makes it a blast to drive! And my kids can't drive a stick! 130K but loved.
Of course after a week the battery died and won't charge. Getting ready to test battery, clean grounds, check fuses and alt/reg. There is no better way to get to know a car than to start turning wrenches. R)

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,892 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,892 Posts

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,997 Posts
Hi,

First thing to do is "Heavy Discharge" test that battery after a full charge, likely just Battery going bad .........................

Knowing MB's how I do Alternators don't go bad that often and normally at way over your Mileage, I've seen them with 300k miles on them, circa 2000 to 2007 MY vehicles :wink:

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advise. That's going to be step one. I'm going to replace the voltage regulator just because, only $25. Maybe a new pine tree air freshener will help.

Attachments

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,997 Posts
Hi,

Now, IMHO I would leave the original MB Alternator well alone, installing a $25 pattern Regulator, (likely Chinesium in that price bracket), will probably do more harm than good :surprise:

Fair enough, if it turns out not to be Charging it might be worth a punt if you don't mind the possibility of re visiting the same job ..................

You have a nice Car there, don't spoil it with cheapo parts is my advice >:D

Running a business where I personally guarantee all my workmanship and parts supplied I would just fit a good quality OEM Rebuilt Unit and be done with it :wink:

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That sure makes sense. I just hate to put in a nice alternator and find out it's a relay. If the regulator does the trick maybe I can find an OE rebuild kit for the alt and during the snow months here in New England rebuild it myself. I do agree with staying away from cheap parts. My Fiat spider stays as Italian is possible. I appreciate the input on my electrical output! (sorry for the pun)

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe this is the problem?
I agree with Dave 2302 that new OEM parts are best. But for $14 bucks the chinesium was a great diagnostic tool. Now It runs and I can order a Bosch kit and fix it at my leisure, which will include beer!
THANKS ALL!

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts