Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While MB doing the service B on my car, they called me and told me that it needs transmision serve plus a set of brakes, both rotors and disc pads. My question is do I have to be gentle on my new brakes for e few miles before I start driving more aggressive?

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Try searching: proper bedding of brake pads on Google. When I retrofitted to the 2005-2007 larger brake calipers, I mainly drove regular and braked a bit harder when approaching a red light, several times a day for a full week. I don't recall getting special instructions from the technician on proper bed-in/seating of the newly installed brake pads and discs/rotors (perhaps he presumed I knew how).

There's data on tire rack, but I couldn't get the link to work.

"BREMBO Gran Turismo

In a safe area, apply brakes moderately from 60mph to 30mph and then drive approximately 1/2 mile to allow the brakes to cool. Repeat this procedure approximately 30 times."

Reactions: QSHIP

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes, brakes need breaking-in just like other new components. But for an SLK, normal highway and city driving will do the job. After a few hundred miles you can drive it like you stole it, if that's more typical for you!

7,000 miles ago my dealer said the front pads and discs needed changing. It had done almost 30,000 miles and I presume they were the originals. I asked if, as previous cars, there was a wire in the pads that would put a light on when worn down, as the next service might be 15,000 away. "Yes", he said. "So I could wait a bit, then?". "Yes", he agreed.

You guessed. 37,000 miles now, and brakes still fine. Precautionary advice or exploitation? :confused:

Reactions: QSHIP

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
The wire sensors are only fitted to one side of the car. Mine are on the drivers side. So if the pads on the other side wear sooner you wont get a warning. When my warning came on the passenger side inner pad was almost on the metal !!!!!! You would think that MB could afford to fit them on all wheels. Must cost pennies on a production line> Love the car but aint impressed with MB as a company

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I learned from a friend that MB do not turn rotors they just replaced them. Disc and pads cost $700.00 per axle. Brake fluid exchage $160.00

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
I recently had my front discs and pads replaced 263 pounds UK None MB parts Why pay through the nose for stuff thats no better. Just paying for the name I reckon

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
3,724 Posts
I recently had my front discs and pads replaced 263 pounds UK None MB parts Why pay through the nose for stuff thats no better. Just paying for the name I reckon
:confused: strange one that John i bought front pads,sensor and discs from MB of hull

ma0044209020 pads £48.60
ma2034211312 discs x2 £93.60
ma2115401717 sensor £4.50

with the vat £172.37 ok i fitted them myself but get years warranty on the disc,s so i dont think thats through the nose.

cheers Pete

·
Registered
174 Posts
@ QSHIP

What did the MB dealer charge, parts and labour, for the pads and discs/rotors?

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
:confused: strange one that John i bought front pads,sensor and discs from MB of hull

ma0044209020 pads £48.60
ma2034211312 discs x2 £93.60
ma2115401717 sensor £4.50

with the vat £172.37 ok i fitted them myself but get years warranty on the disc,s so i dont think thats through the nose.

cheers Pete
Mine did include labour and a full inspection of the rears. But I take your point that price is a lot less than I would have expected :)

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Yes the brakes need to bed in a little and go through a few heat cycles to be at their best. It takes a while for the pads and the discs to be the same shape. Get on them hard too early and the high-spots are doing all of the work and get too hot. It's not so bad with brand new discs and pads, but if just changing pads for use with used but serviceable discs, should take it easy for the first few hundred miles (one or two tanks fulls of gas).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.