Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple months ago my brother and I change the front rotors and all the pads on my 'O5 SLK. Instead of the OEM Mercedes pads, we put on ceramic pads. Now I have a horrible brake squeak when I first apply the brakes. After hitting them once or twice it goes away. Not sure if it is due to the ceramic brakes or not putting enough copper grease on the backs. Either way, I'm going to have to get in there and redo. Any thoughts?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,421 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,421 Posts
I know. my thread link was that the poster's brakes eventually 'settled' in and were then fine :D

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,000 Posts
There are as many ideas as people posing them on brake squeel. Despite these, squeel is high frequency vibration. The problem is finding it and isolating it.
If the squeel is momentary and only when first applying the brakes, then the vibration is quickly taken care of with full pressure of the caliper pistons. Your copper grease - did you apply it only to the piston contact area? If so, try smearing some in the grooves where the pad backing plate sits in the calipers.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,728 Posts
Hi All
Yes put some copper grease along the edges top & bottom on the brake pad as this area rubs on the inner face of the caliper

Cheers

Andy

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
A couple months ago my brother and I change the front rotors and all the pads on my 'O5 SLK. Instead of the OEM Mercedes pads, we put on ceramic pads. Now I have a horrible brake squeak when I first apply the brakes. After hitting them once or twice it goes away. Not sure if it is due to the ceramic brakes or not putting enough copper grease on the backs. Either way, I'm going to have to get in there and redo. Any thoughts?
Hi FreddyC,

Your anwser is here: (ATE Catalog)
http://www.ate-brakes.com/www/ate_de_en/themes/10_products/channel_disc_brakes_en/productinfo_ceramic_brake_pads_en.html?page=2

Technical Information

Technically it is possible to combine ATE Ceramic brake pads with the PowerDisc or with perforated brake discs. The braking power with such a pairing is the same as with an original ATE brake pad or OE brake pad. However, when the two components interact they can generate more noise in braking. ATE Ceramic brake pads were developed for comfort-oriented drivers. We therefore recommend using them with normal brake discs, i.e. smooth ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.