Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi guys,
im pretty new to the mercedes world! i bought a fully serviced 05 SLK 200 with 69k on the clock. however, the only thing i can fault it on, its after a bit of driving, the brakes squeak like mad! its only a quiet squeak on wheel rotation but its annoying! ive read this is fairly common, however im jsut wondering, as it appears my brakes are original, whether to change both discs and pads or jsut discs?

1. has anyone else had this problem
2. what has everyone else opted for? drilled/grooved discs? what pads?

many thanks in anticipation

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried the paste this week, worked for a day or so but the squeak is back! I keep thinking there is a bus behind me!!!!! Any other suggestions??? :|

·
Premium Member
10,745 Posts
If it worked for a while , it looks like you might be on the right track .
You could try cutting a shim from strong card or plastic the shape of the pads and fitting it between the pad and the piston - some stes of brake pads actually come with them .
We always assume it's the pads/disc that are squeaking , but often it's the pads/piston that's the culprit !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fab! I'll give that a go! Weirdly it doesn't do it on short drives, seems to be when the car has heated up?

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
35 years of driving Mercedes and never had any issues with brake squeaks. Pads and rotors have minimum specs for a reason. I replace them myself when they get close to minimum. I always have used either brakes from the dealer or buy the aftermarket brakes manufactured by the company who makes them for Mercedes such as Pagid, ATE, Textar, etc. Brake dust is not an issue for me, so I have never used ceramics or any low dust aftermarket pads. I ALWAYS use the Mercedes "ketchup" packet brake pad grease when I install new pads.

·
Registered
119 Posts
squeak

brakes squeak is caused by the frequency of vibration between pad and disc or piston , the copper grease helps damp this vibration out and the fact that it went away backs this up. Your choice may well be to try a different brake pad manufacturer or try chamfering the edge of the friction material if its at a right angle to the disc. Secondly are the pads wearing evenly? try these first before spending lots on discs etc.:smile:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts