Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230 Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had these brake sheilds on my car for so long I forgot they were there.

They basically stop the brake dust from getting on the outer rims.

Before i put them on, i was cleaning my front rims at least twice a week.

i now only have to clean them as I wash the car. No brake dust to speak of...

My only concern is overheating of the brakes even though they have air vents and are advertised not to do that. Course, i never race my car or use the brakes aggressively like some of the course racers here.

For my purposes, they seem to do just fine.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I have seen those for sale, however always thought they would look bad with a rim that has open space between the spokes.

Would be great if you could take a pic of the setup to prove me wrong :)

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
I think some people want to show the Mercedes-Benz, Brabus or Brembo logos on the brake caliper covers and therefore would not want to install the brake dust cover.

I try to clean the inner surface of the rims when I clean the wheels with each car wash as it is easy with the 5-spoke design.

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230 Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I actually have to lay on the ground to get up behind them to clean the inside of the rims. Even tho no one sees there, I like to know it is cleen!

If I had stand out brake calipers that i spent a lot of money on...i too would probably not use these.

They do take some getting used too but the always clean look of the rim is what i like.

If you have seen my car pics in the past, you have seen them on there. If you did not notice them before, then I guess they are not too goofy looking.

Now that you know to look for them, You WILL see them... LOL

I will try and post a pick of them up close in the near future.

·
Registered
16 Posts
SLKman said:
Yes, I actually have to lay on the ground to get up behind them to clean the inside of the rims. Even tho no one sees there, I like to know it is cleen!

If I had stand out brake calipers that i spent a lot of money on...i too would probably not use these.

They do take some getting used too but the always clean look of the rim is what i like.

If you have seen my car pics in the past, you have seen them on there. If you did not notice them before, then I guess they are not too goofy looking.

Now that you know to look for them, You WILL see them... LOL

I will try and post a pick of them up close in the near future.
I think MB Uk have stopped making them, I've tried to get some for an old SL I look after but no joy, even Europarts have stopped selling them. I had a set on an old e class and worked well, but I still like to see 'depth' to my wheels, which you only get from a clean inner rim and clean calipers.

·
Founding Member
7 Posts
SLKman said:
I have had these brake sheilds on my car for so long I forgot they were there.
They basically stop the brake dust from getting on the outer rims.
Before i put them on, i was cleaning my front rims at least twice a week.
i now only have to clean them as I wash the car. No brake dust to speak of...
My only concern is overheating of the brakes even though they have air vents and are advertised not to do that. Course, i never race my car or use the brakes aggressively like some of the course racers here.
For my purposes, they seem to do just fine.
If you're only going to be street driving, and don't drive aggressively the shields are OK. If you tend to drive with a heavy foot on both the throttle and the brakes, you might want to pull them. Cooling is as you know, important for disc brakes, force them to retain heat and you're asking for warps...:burnout:

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
noregret4life said:
I have seen those for sale, however always thought they would look bad with a rim that has open space between the spokes.

Would be great if you could take a pic of the setup to prove me wrong :)
:) NR4L is exactly right. They would look terrible on anything with an open wheel design. I'd live with the brake dust first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.