Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I checked the front pads thinking it was getting close to replacing them. I have a new set ready to go but to me it looks like I still have 50% of the pads remaining. What I'm concerned about is that with this much pad remaining it looks like the sensor is just about to touch the rotor. Is that about right? I guess by the time it wears down the sensor to trigger an alert the pads might be at 20-30%??

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
5,840 Posts
@Gerryl98 Looking at some brand new Rear Pads I have for my R172, the sensor would trigger an alert when the pads had 30% remaining. See the attached picture. Look at the new set of Front Pads you have and you should be able to calculate when the sensor will trigger. There is no substitute for giving the pads a visual look to see how much is remaining.

Attachments

·
Long Time Member 2005 SLK350
3,699 Posts
The part you can see on the outside is not the bit that actually puts the light on.

The prong that pushes into the pad is closer to the metal backing of the pad , guessing light will come on when pads are about 80% worn.

I change my pads once I can feel they dont bite the same after heavy use on B road following @Avel Du. Last set still looked like new but where done due to my heavy foot :grin::grin::grin:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,168 Posts
The part you can see on the outside is not the bit that actually puts the light on.

The prong that pushes into the pad is closer to the metal backing of the pad , guessing light will come on when pads are about 80% worn.

I change my pads once I can feel they dont bite the same after heavy use on B road following @Avel Du. Last set still looked like new but where done due to my heavy foot :grin::grin::grin:
Fair play!

I was making sure Davie didn't get lost, or struggle at the gates :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I think I'll just wait until the sensor is triggered I guess. I was hoping that I could wear down the pads enough without breaching the sensor. Now seeing that the sensors are fairly inexpensive I'm no longer concerned about having to pay for that additional part. Thanks everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts