Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
So I decided to change my rotors and pads yesterday with the help of a friend of mine. To make a long story short all went well we thought, but in retrospect I know that we put the directional pads on the wrong sides. We did the passenger side first and the one marked R seemed to not want to clip in so my friend grabbed the one marked L and it popped right in. We left it in and moved on.
Wasn't until last night and I got to thinking about it that I realized there was probably a good reason for the arrow and the L/R designation. So my question is obviously should I pull everything back off and switch them or does it really make much difference? Is it just a wear/squeak issue or is there any danger in them being reversed?
Any input on it is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK 55; 2005 SLK 350
4,599 Posts
Wait, what? Directional brake pads? Is that a thing?

What would make a brake pad "directional"?

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
25,427 Posts
Wait, what? Directional brake pads? Is that a thing?

What would make a brake pad "directional"?
I didn't know.
But maybe manufacture processes.
Tyres are directional.

Judging by fitting issue I wonder if L/R are wrong printed way around.
That then makes me wonder if genuine.

Where were they purchased?

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
4,281 Posts
Hello all,
So I decided to change my rotors and pads yesterday with the help of a friend of mine. To make a long story short all went well we thought, but in retrospect I know that we put the directional pads on the wrong sides. We did the passenger side first and the one marked R seemed to not want to clip in so my friend grabbed the one marked L and it popped right in. We left it in and moved on.
Wasn't until last night and I got to thinking about it that I realized there was probably a good reason for the arrow and the L/R designation. So my question is obviously should I pull everything back off and switch them or does it really make much difference? Is it just a wear/squeak issue or is there any danger in them being reversed?
Any input on it is appreciated. Thanks!
Hope this helps
https://www.ferodo.co.uk/blog/directional-brake-pads.html

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't know.
But maybe manufacture processes.
Tyres are directional.

Judging by fitting issue I wonder if L/R are wrong printed way around.
That then makes me wonder if genuine.

Where were they purchased?
These were OEM pads from one of the online MB dealerships websites. Can't remember which one right off.

They have L or R on them as well as an arrow. It appears the arrow is intended to point in the direction of rotation and the difference in L/R has something to do with the chamfer.

I realize the car will stop with them like they are. It appears the intent is to minimize squealing and help with wear, etc. I was looking for any input on whether there was the potential for damaging anything that I was unaware of, like the rotor, until I could get help back over and take everything apart again, etc.

Thanks.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
4,936 Posts
Directional Brake pads with Mercedes have been round for years now nothing new here .......

Fitting in the wrong direction wont damage anything but if its bugging new change and put them in the right way and less chance of squealing or .......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts